TechSpot

Sharp decides to quit the PC market

By Emil
Oct 22, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. After concluding that turning a profit from stand-alone products was too difficult, Sharp has announced that it will no longer sell and manufacturer PCs, neither laptops nor desktops, according to Nikkei. The company did not say when it would cease all PC production, but it did stress that it would do so very shortly. Surprisingly, Sharp says that this is just a "strategic" move and that it may one day return to the PC market. Sharp's PCs did get a positive reception from consumers, but the company still decided to give u...

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,559   +598

Heh...I haven't seen a Sharp PC in years. I had no idea they were still in the business.

3. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 812   +26

That puts you ahead of me...I didn't even know they made PCs, lol.

4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 991   +90

Haven't seen a Sharp computer since the mid 90's.

5. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Neither did I. Perhaps they sold them in other areas of the world but I've never seen one in the U.S. Did they use a different brand name?

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

If their PCs are as reliable as the rest of their product line, this stands as an act of mercy.

7. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

LOL! Captain you had me rolling!

8. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

I thought they turned the life support off for Sharp computers back in 2000? I haven't seen one since around that time anyway...

9. PaulWuzHere

PaulWuzHere TS Maniac Posts: 270

Sharp made computers?

10. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

I've never even seen a Sharp PC...Oh wait a sec, neither has anyone else lol...

If any one finds one, take it to auction, it would be worth a fortune that...lol

11. grimm808

grimm808 TS Rookie Posts: 30

Wait... what? Sharp makes PC's? I didn't even know that. I just thought they made TV's, fans, and useless peripherals. They should just focus on making nice HD tv's.

12. jizzyburnizzy

jizzyburnizzy TS Enthusiast Posts: 48

I've never seen a Sharp PC either, no big loss here. I can honestly say I've never bought any product made by Sharp and I likely never will

13. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 900   +15

same here. never seen a sharp PCs. i got their fridge though. :haha:

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

Good luck with that...!

15. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

lol

I did have some Sharp speakers once that performed very well.

Well i say well, they blew up after a few weeks but thats better than i expected....

16. ruzveh

ruzveh Banned Posts: 123

Good decision by sharp as i dont have any single component in my PC which is made by sharp incl monitor. Rather now they can concentrate on more discreet market and improve the service of their TV's