Should I be thinking about alternative cooling methods?

krayzie

Hi Guys
currently my CPU is at 85c and inside my case its 54c and teh GFX cards are at 41c
my setup is
i5 2500k NOT over clocked
8GB of G.Skill rip jaw... 2x4GB not over clocked
120GB crutial SSD
2x Seagate 1.5TB HDD
xfired 6950's
I have a antec 1200 case
I guess it doesnt help that its going to be 41c in sydney today
but I feel like I need to do some better cooling. I was thinking about cooling cpu and the 2 gfx cards aswell
what do you guys recommend?

Well 85c is extremely hot for an idle temp. What sort of cooling solution are you working with currently?

It seems like what ever CPU cooler you're using may be seated wrong or has too much thermal paste applied. Because 85c on a stock clocked & idle i5-2500k is terrible.

I don't get how xfired cards can sit at 41 while case is 54. That is shocking.

Post pics of your case. Your fan placement or something must be whack. Also your CPU HSF must be wrong, as posted above.

I agree with Blfx1 and St1ckM4n. If whatever monitoring software you are using is reading your temps accurately, then your cooler must be improperly seated or your fans are off kilter somehow. At 85°C idle, your CPU is past the throttling point even before it begins to do anything even remotely heavy.

Try re-seating your cooler. I'd clean out the previous layer of TIM and re-apply. Not too much, mind you.

[FONT=Calibri]What monitoring software are you using? [/FONT]

Alright! Those numbers is what id probably expect from a stock cooler. Especially if you live in a place where it is pretty warm out. I would recommend getting a after market CPU cooler. There are a lot of inexpensive coolers that provide great cooling. Give us a budget and we can shoot you some suggestions.

Well if its just for a after market fan cooler... then probably $100

bit more for more serious cooling

Well, unless you're going for some high OC's on your CPU or GPU's then you don't need "serious" cooling.

Tell me, Do you plan to OC your 2500K or keep it at stock clocks?

Back