TechSpot

Should I buy a Core i7 920 now or wait for better?

By teklord
Aug 20, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All,

I read that the Core i7 920 & 940 will be phased out soon. Should I buy the i7 920 now or wait for better models? I ask because you can get the 920 now for $199 at Micro Center and I don't want to pass that up if there isn't going to be a comparable value coming along in the next few years. Check the link below for the Core i7 phase out story. Thx all.

Core i7 920 & 940 to go the way of the dodo
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,894   +88

3. teklord

teklord TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 523

Definition of value is comparable computing power at that $199 price. The newer die shrink will probably be pricey at first, makes me think 920 now is looking good unless that story is false as some say.
  4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

The i7 920 is a great buy now, and I recommend buying one, if you are looking to buy X58 motherboards only. The forthcoming P55 chipset will only support LGA 1156 Lynnfield CPUs, and will replace the P45 chipset as the mainstream part.

So make your choice based on that.
  5. teklord

teklord TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 523

As long as they replace the X58 with something better, I can wait then if I must to get the i7 920.
  6. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

there not replaceing the x58s for core i7 that i know of only the lower end parts like the i5 and i3 parts.
  7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

The X58 will be the only chipset with Core i7 support. Intel has not revealed any intentions otherwise.
  8. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

thats what i thought red thanks for clearing that up
  9. mica3speedy

mica3speedy TS Rookie Posts: 205

There is always going to be something better. If you find yourself needing to upgrade at this point, then by all means get the i7. If what you have now suits your needs, then hold off unless you really desire a new setup.
  10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,666   +879

Dude, even Nostrodamus couldn't predict where the computer industry will be, "in a few years".

The best time to buy a 2009 car, is right when the 2010 models come out. And, they're every bit as shiny. Besides, the core i5s will be obsolete soon enough also.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.