TechSpot

should i buy parts now or wait a few months

By totalgruzin
Feb 8, 2007
  1. hey guys im goin off to college this fall and im lookin to build a solid comp
    problem is im a VERY impatient person so my question is...is there anything new comin out this spring OR are prices on components dropping? or should i build it now?

if anyone cares this is wut im gonna get :D

evga nforce680i SLI mobo
    evga 8800gtx
    OCZ 2gb ddr2 800mhz
    core2duo e6600 2.4ghz
    thermalake 750w PSU
    300gb HD
    viewsonic 19" 2ms LCD OR pay a lil more and get a samsung 20.1" 5ms UXGA LCD :p

2. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

Prices will be dropping severely on the Core 2's, and ATI is coming out with R600 so wait maybe.

3. Drenholm

Drenholm TS Rookie Posts: 32

I'd probably give it until summer. like F1N3ST said, ATI have yet to answer to nVidia's 8800s, and since the 8800s are still new prices are likely to drop soon and/or better models will be available.

Also maybe then PC8500 (1066Mhz) memory will be better supported. I don't know of any mobos, yet, that support it.

For your hard drive Seagate have released a new range of drives using PR (Perpendicular Recording) technology which alignes the bits in a more efficient manner allowing more storage and faster read/write times.. and then there's their 750Gb Behemoth!

Also, if you're building for your return to college you may as well wait till closer to the time!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.