Should I install Windows 7 32-bit or stay with XP?

BlitzJG

I just reformatted my computer with Windows XP. My components are upwards of 6 years old and I ran a Windows 7 compatibility program that stated I could run a custom install of the 32-bit version, but there are known issues with my ATI desktop (something?) and one or two other things.

I am going to be playing TOR in the next few days and am trying to figure out what will be the best settings for the game and I assume, if my computer can handle it, windows 7 will be more beneficial than Pro. Can I get your two cents?

I currently am only running with 3 gigs of Ram but was considering bumping up to 4... but a new computer might be in my near future as well.

Thoughts?

Personally, with hardware that age, I would just stick with XP. I don't think you will see any gaming performance increase with 7 on older hardware.

I would avoid buying more RAM, its just too expensive for DDR2 or DDR to increase it when you already have 3. Save that money and put it toward your eventual new system (or just buy more beer).

Ok well, another reason I was going to upgrade was because I recently reformatted my comp, and don't have my original disk, it was custom-built by an old friend. Anyway we have a couple DELL windows SP2 re-installation CDs which I ignorantly figured wouldn't be a problem using and obviously the product key off the actual Dell they are from does not work for it. I do however have access to Windows .ISO downloads and product keys through my university. Unfortunately these product keys do not work, is this because of the CD i installed it from originally?

What are my options?

Thanks for all help!

Do you have your original key? Is that what isn't working with the university ISOs? Or do you have a key from your university that doesn't work?

As long as you have a key it really doesn't matter how you get a disk, it just needs to be the same type.

Ok so I don't have any of the original disks for this computer I am working on aside from motherboard and graphics card drivers. I have another computer, manufactured by Dell for which I made a slipstream installation cd of XP service pack 2 for this computer I am working on. I tried using the product key for the Dell on this computer with no luck (which I'm assuming is because the Dell is registered for that product key).

The university Keys provided will not work... and As i am typing this I just realized that the Dell CD was for XP Home edition, while the university keys are for Pro which is probably why they won't work... How can I upgrade/change to Pro from the University ISOs? Do I need to reformat or is there a repair function or what?

Thanks!

Oh and access includes XP Pro- SP2 64 bit, and XP Pro- SP3 32 bit... which should i Upgrade to?

You'll need to reformat then just install Pro with one of the university keys. You'll need a Pro disk of course. Stick with 32bit, 64bit for XP is odd and not as well supported as 64bit 7 (or 64bit Vista even).

I was able to upgrade from the .ISO... was there a reason I shouldnt have done this or why you didnt suggest it?

Upgrade from XP Home? If you did that, then the reason I didn't suggest is because I forgot or didn't know you could run a Pro upgrade on Home. There is almost no difference between the two anyway (ability to join a domain on Pro is all I can think of offhand).

Clean installs are always better than upgrades. You'll probably be fine with the upgrade that you did since it seems to have been fairly recent that you did a reformat.

A lot of things confused me from the beginning on your problem though, so that also contributed to how I answered. Maybe my confusion stems from being away from XP for so long, but I didn't think you could install XP without a CD Key. You said you didn't have your original install disk, and that a Dell XP SP2 didn't work.

Then I thought you said you could get XP Pro from your school, so I was confused why you didn't just do this originally. Now I guess you got some OS installed that could be upgraded to XP Pro (98?, 98se, ME, 2k, and maybe XP Home)...

In any case, glad you got it sorted even if I didn't help (aside from suggesting to stay with 32bit XP).

Upgrade from XP Home? If you did that, then the reason I didn't suggest is because I forgot or didn't know you could run a Pro upgrade on Home. There is almost no difference between the two anyway (ability to join a domain on Pro is all I can think of offhand).

Clean installs are always better than upgrades. You'll probably be fine with the upgrade that you did since it seems to have been fairly recent that you did a reformat.

A lot of things confused me from the beginning on your problem though, so that also contributed to how I answered. Maybe my confusion stems from being away from XP for so long, but I didn't think you could install XP without a CD Key. You said you didn't have your original install disk, and that a Dell XP SP2 didn't work.

Then I thought you said you could get XP Pro from your school, so I was confused why you didn't just do this originally. Now I guess you got some OS installed that could be upgraded to XP Pro (98?, 98se, ME, 2k, and maybe XP Home)...

In any case, glad you got it sorted even if I didn't help (aside from suggesting to stay with 32bit XP).

Yeah Sorry about that... I was able to install it fine without a key being asked for until after installation where a Product registration notification popped up asking for it saying I had 30 days of trial. I did use the Dell HOME XP cd but did not have a functional key and didnt think about my University access until after I had done the Home XP installation.

You helped the whole way through and I do appreciate it!

really depends on your hardware and peripherals. If you have a lot of older peripherals, than no.

Thanks everyone, I did the Windows 7 advisor and it said I could handle custom 7 32-bit, but I decided to remain with XP since all the peripherals are old and my computer can't even run the game I wanted it too.

Is there a way to close this thread?

I like Windows 7 because it seems to be a lot less susceptible to malware, unlike Windows XP which every virus has been crafted to affect. I know people that get XP goofed up in no time surfing the net anyways. I cant say I do it personally.

Back