Should I upgrade windows 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardtres

I just bought a laptop on ebay it's a HP Compaq EVO N610C P4-M 2GHZ 512 RAM.I t has Windows 2000 installed. I have a retail version of XP Home and XP Professional edition. I have never used windows 2000 and would like to know your opinion of how well it works or should I upgraded it to XP home or XP pro? Thank you.

Upgrade it to Windows XP Pro. Win 2000 is a mature product and probably works well enough and likely to have the functions to meet your needs
  • But you can be certain most any software you buy /add-on today will support XP.Not necessarily true about Win2000
  • Given product lifecycles Microsoft will stop supporting Win2000 far earlier then it stops supporting XP (so given the choice now, why even start with Win2000)
  • W2K has some of its own variances and things that work different then how things are done in XP. Why need learn how to support a different Operating System version. Maintenance and usage should be easier if you stick to XP for all you computers

Those specs are the minimum for XP IMHO!

2K has most of the fundamental features of XP, especially fully updated Service pack 4 and etc.

You need to look at the APPS you run and see if you have one of the fairly rare programs that requires XP and will not run on 2K.

Otherwise 2K will run circles around XP in speed and performance with this hardware.

Plus it is some work to install XP find drivers etc especially for a LapTop.

If you stay with 2K then you should clean it up and check it by running it thu our 8 Steps https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/ and letting us see the configuration via the logs.

Mike

I know many who swear by Windows 2000 as being the most stable of all Windows OS. I personally never used it but if your going to go XP Pro (which I would chose between the two XPs) I would run it with 2 gigs of RAM. Keep in mind Microsoft doesn't support 2000 anymore (but I am not 100% sure).

The central question is: What are you going to use this laptop for? If it does everything you need it to do keep it as is. You might find driver issues though as the 2000 is 9 years old.

OK. i admit my prior comment was made without looking closely at your hardware (shame on me! :blush:)

And most definitely agree you should upgrade your memory to 2GB

But at as for drivers.. and problems with finding XP drivers for a laptop??? I don't think i've ever had any problem finding XP drivers (it's so common places these days) for machines that can support XP.

And you can go to this link here to get the XP drivers for your laptop from HP's own support site (and be sure check if you need upgrade your BIOS as well)

OK. i admit my prior comment was made without looking closely at your hardware (shame on me! :blush:)

And most definitely agree you should upgrade your memory to 2GB

But at as for drivers.. and problems with finding XP drivers for a laptop??? I don't think i've ever had any problem finding XP drivers (it's so common places these days) for machines that can support XP.

And you can go to this link here to get the XP drivers for your laptop from HP's own support site (and be sure check if you need upgrade your BIOS as well)

Obviously I needed to be more clear! :eek: When I was referring to drivers I was thinking of 2000 and not XP.

I ran XP-home for 3 years on 512Mb of memory and rarely found it slow or a problem, except when editing very large images. Having a few months ago upgraded to 2Gb I can tell you, yes it does feel somewhat perkier. What does 'somewhat' mean ? About 10-15%

Obviously I needed to be more clear! :eek: When I was referring to drivers I was thinking of 2000 and not XP.

Hmmmm..and/or i need to be more careful in how the sentence was parsed! (also seeing as how i didn't understand how you'd suggest it difficult to find XP drivers.. and, in fact, you were not! ;)

OK, so i know that "i" above is a typo. s/b needs 2 x 512MB sticks?
Code:
Memory  	
Standard  	256 MB 266 MHz SDRAM DDR SDRAM (256-MB SODIMM in slot 1)
Maximum 	1GB    266 MHz SDRAM DDR SDRAM (512-MB SODIMM in slots 1 and 2)

Yeah, it was a typo.

should I upgrade windows 2000

Hello, Wizardtres. I also have Xp home addition and it works fine. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I bought the software and downloaded it myself. So if you are happy with xp home addition keep it. If I had to upgrade I would use windows vista because this is the most up to date software for windows.

I hope this helps

Faye B

try this analysis:
DO I
  1. NEED to?
  2. or just Want to?
One thought is always, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it!"

Another is "If I NEED to make significant changes, then jump to the best I can affort and then sit on it until I NEED to again".

If you're starting over, then at least move to XP/Pro and consider Vista (I say that even though I would not myself).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back