TechSpot

Should I wait for the AMD FX Series?

By Atham
Jul 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello there,
    I am thinking about upgrading my current system. I will possibly get the GPU in a about a month or so, and I will buy the CPU and the motherboard and the Cooler possibly during Christmas. Are the FX series gonna be out by Christmas or should I go with the Phenom II x6 1100T BE?

I will be using the:
    GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard
    Noctua NH-U9B SE2 CPU cooler

Thanks
  2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

The FX cpus should be out around september i would think so i would wait if i were you.
  3. Atham

Atham TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 520

Well, I live in Slovakia so it might take some time to get here. Would the cooler be compatible or is it not known which coolers will be compatible?
  4. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

i tihnk it will use the same setup as the current AM3 boards so it should work.
  5. Atham

Oh okay. Hopefully one of the 8 cores will be up to 200 Euros. I am not willing to spend more.
  6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,892   +86

The way the pricing is shaping up around the net, It looks like the 8100 may be around there.
  7. Atham

YES!!!!! Any more good news about the FX series?
  8. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,892   +86

well....pricing is the best indicator of where they are going to perform against the competition and it looks like the 8150P (the flagship for the time being) is going to be priced close to the 2600K. I am getting the 8150P at the opening bell myself and then see if the binning for the 8170,8190, and 8200P (or however they are named) makes enough of a discernible difference to trade up.
  9. Atham

Are there any leaks of prices or something for the FX series?

And would the GIGABYTE 990FXA UD3 and NOCTUA NH U9B SE2 be good enough for the FX series?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.