TechSpot

Should it take 2 days to write zeros to HDD?

By SFFour
Feb 25, 2010
  1. I'm only a little bit computer literate. I've never really put forth any time to studying these things. I pretty much learn by troubleshooting problems as they appear. Anyway...

I was having computer issues, ran a hdd diagnostic, reallocated sector count below theshold. From what I gather that means the hdd is pretty much done for. No biggie, I'll get a new HDD. But before I pack the old one into a box, I want to write zeros through the drive. I've got everything off it I need and don't want to risk somebody else getting something off it I don't want them having.

I'm using WD's diagnostic tool and it's estimating that it will take 43 hours to do a full erase. I did a quick erase and it took less than 10 minutes. Is that normal?

2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 869   +8

Take the HDD apart, that's always fun to do. When your done messing with take a hammer to the platter

3. pjamme

pjamme TS Enthusiast Posts: 208

Drill Press

We take a drill press to our dead hard drives. Securely overwriting takes an eternity

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

While I don't know exactly how long it takes, your 2 days doesn't surprise me. Do what the others say and physically destroy it if you are concerned about the data.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,317   +618

and just think ... you get to take your frustration out on Windows.

leave it in the closet and whenever you feel persecuted -- do it again and again and again :)

6. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,039   +9

o_O, thats a very good idea!

7. Frosty21

Frosty21 TS Rookie Posts: 23

Attach a strong magnet to it, it should corrupt the data big time!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.