Should it take 2 days to write zeros to HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only a little bit computer literate. I've never really put forth any time to studying these things. I pretty much learn by troubleshooting problems as they appear. Anyway...

I was having computer issues, ran a hdd diagnostic, reallocated sector count below theshold. From what I gather that means the hdd is pretty much done for. No biggie, I'll get a new HDD. But before I pack the old one into a box, I want to write zeros through the drive. I've got everything off it I need and don't want to risk somebody else getting something off it I don't want them having.

I'm using WD's diagnostic tool and it's estimating that it will take 43 hours to do a full erase. I did a quick erase and it took less than 10 minutes. Is that normal?

Drill Press

We take a drill press to our dead hard drives. Securely overwriting takes an eternity

While I don't know exactly how long it takes, your 2 days doesn't surprise me. Do what the others say and physically destroy it if you are concerned about the data.

and just think ... you get to take your frustration out on Windows.

leave it in the closet and whenever you feel persecuted -- do it again and again and again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back