Should the law protect virtual property?

Should the law protect virtual property?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Envergure

Hey, guys.

I don't remember any of the details, but I heard a story about a guy who sold a really strong weapon in some RPG for over $900 US after his friend lent it to him. The guy who owned it tried to sue, but lost because "the law does not protect virtual property."

This is just me, but I think it should! The property may not technically exist physically, but the money people make buying and selling "stuff," for example, in Second Life, is very real. If people can make an honest living selling virtual property then I think it should be treated in court cases, etc. in the same way as anything "real" is.

What do you think?

Okay, I guess I did a lousy job of saying that clearly (I edited it a bit now).

Intellectual property and virtual property aren't the same thing. Intellectual property is the right to say that you are the one who originated an idea; Virtual property is something you "own" in some virtual thing (e.g. the items your avatar carries in Runescape are your virtual property).

Interesting

Yeah I guess to an extent the law should look down on it and open the way for atleast small claims actions, but people dont really want that to happen because it opens the door for big companies to slam down on already strict copywrite laws, I mean we have to draw the line somplace and keep some liberties in this country free and seperate from big buisness.

Put it this way, what if Biizzard opened a online shop where you could buy x amount of any item ( this already exists with items such as gold and other goods but wth 3rd parties that are kinda small time ) for a price premium. They could in return copywrite these virtual items and make it illegal to trade or sell as you wish with other players or with the strait out intention of making money.

Ebay has already banned the sale of virtual goods on its site. Its hard to prevent fraud when dealing with a untracable item. Its like selling somthing simple as advice, how is somone going to proove that you really didnt give them any ? :D

I don't know how to explain my feelings on this one. I think it's stupid. I voted No.

Back