Show all users on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

dollhobbs

How do you get a map of all people using you network and can you set it up somehow to alert you if someone tries to access your network? I don't have this happening but would like to know how to see everyone currently using my home network and yes it is protected in case you want to know.

easy way is to use your router to see All Attached Devices; you get the IP, Mac address and sometimes the System Name.

A tool that scans for devices is Look@Lan; kind of cute and effective

What is the windows your are using? If it is Windows 7 it will be very easy as you have simply to go to network and it will give you every connected machine to you network.

You can also put a security onto you Wireless connection for others not to connect to it.

but ONLY if all the components are configured AND for XP systems, the necessary support is added. This will not work for OSX or Linux

The router and Look@Lan is agnostic (ie doesn't care) which OS is running as it samples the protocols to client systems for the discovery :)

my sys is security enabled, I never see my wifes laptop on it when I check and just wondered if there was a possibility someone else might be connecting without my knowledge. Win 7 64bit by the way, and XP pro 32bit dual booted.

my sys is security enabled, I never see my wifes laptop on it when I check and just wondered if there was a possibility someone else might be connecting without my knowledge. Win 7 64bit by the way, and XP pro 32bit dual booted.
Which is Win/7?

Can you ping XP -> Win/7 and conversely?

ALL systems will need the same WORKGROUP name.

XP
Firewall ->Adv Tab -> ICMP Settings will need [x] allow incomming echo request.

7 uses a new protocol, called Link Layer Topology Discovery. LLTD. XP does not have this and an XP PC cannot be discovered by 7. You can fix the problem by downloading and installing the Layer Topology Discovery Responder Install it and your Windows XP PC will show up on the WIN7 network map, properly located, with the mouse hover in full working order. Tom

see Win7 network map

XP will also need the SSDP service running :wave:

all the PC's on my home network are running Vista except the one which has windows 7 home premium.The XP OS as I mentioned is on the same PC dual booted with Windows 7.

7 and Vista boxes will see it other. XP can access the shares on other OS but you need to be the admin of those boxes. So how many times do you use the dual boot with 7/XP. So did you try everything that was mentioned above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back