Show Hidden Files and Folders disabled after virus removal

By Acoyauh
Apr 7, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, I'm Acoyauh.
    I had a virus infection that my Symantec could detect but not remove (warning screen showed it found Bloodhound.(...) but froze there). I installed Avast! and removed three viruses with a boot-time scan. It now scans clean with both tools.
    I had trouble for a while accessing my HDD until I removed all autorun.* files -there were plenty all over.
    My problem now is that I cannot activate the View All Files and Folders option; I assume I still have a bug but just can't figure out how to find it.
    I ran a HJT scan and I'm attaching it here. Do I need anything else? Can you please help here?
    It's an HP Laptop (Lots of HP sw in it) with Windows XP Professional, all updates on.

Attached Files:

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

1. Click Start -> Run
    2. Type regedit and click Ok.
    3. Find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL
    4. Look at the “CheckedValue” key… This should be a DWORD key. If it isn’t, delete the key.
    5. Create a new key called “CheckedValue” as a DWORD (hexadecimal) with a value of 1.
    6. The “Show hidden files & folders” check box should now work normally
    7. Also change in NOHIDDEN change value to 1
    8. In SHOWALL change value to 0
    9. Re-check the folder options
    10. now change the values to the same
    NOHIDDEN to 2
    SHOWALL to 1

Reply back
  3. Acoyauh

Acoyauh Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Works!

It works now, thanks!
    I now can see hidden files called sqmdataxx.sqm & sqmnooptxx.sqm which I don't think were there before... but that's just details.
    All seems ok now. I really appreciate such quick and effective help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.