Shut down fans still on

Hi to all I have this one problem i have an emachine t3304 computer that the fans will not shut off after it powers down, the on and off button led remains on ,then all of a sudden it powers back on like it was in sleep mode but it isnt i checked the settings and they are in the off position. I changed the processors because it was turning on and off by itself this solved the problem, now before i did this work the computer would shut down and start normally, by the way I installed windows xp in this computer and then i had to run the repair procces from the installtion disk , the computer runs like a charm now but the fans will not shut down.

Question... do you have any external / usb drives that are externally powered?
I have seen this set up send power back to the board causing the fan to run.

I would still try another power supply. Externally powered USB device means that it has an adapter that plugs into a AC wall socket. Many USB enclosures now have a single USB cord with 3 USB connectors. One that plugs into the device and 2 that plug into 2 unused computer USB ports. These are needed to draw more current to a USB device like a hard drive enclosure. Each USB port is limited to 500ma of current

i did notice that I have the SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE icon showing, I will test the power supply with the nifthy tester I have. thanks to all for the help.

The "Nifty" tester will not tell you anything useful, other than some voltages are present. Supply Current is the important value. Swapping the Power Supply is the right thing to do... especially where an eMachines computer is concerned. The "safely remove hardware" is there because you still have some sort of USB device attached to one of the USB ports

i only have a lazer mouse and a key board attached to the usb port. i will try to swap out the power suppy, right now its working great the computers ecectrical cord is attached to a power strip so when i Shut it off I also turn the power switch off after power down.
thanks...........................

Thanks to all for the help, I tested the power supply with the "nifthy" electrical tester, and one connection was bad, so I replaced it with the one I had. Once again thanks........................

Thanks to all for the help, I tested the power supply with the "nifthy" electrical tester, and one connection was bad, so I replaced it with the one I had. Once again thanks........................

-5v?
Probably because the cable isn't there.

Anyway, you've solved the problem.
Was your old power supply a Bestec 12E power supply?

Back