Shutdown button and lid close are not functioning as they should. Windows 7

[FONT=verdana]I have an annoying little problem. I have an HP Elitebook 8440w 120gb ssd 8gb memory corei5 2.4ghz running win7. I changed my windows settings so when I close my lid nothing happens and when I press the power button it shuts down. The problem is that those two things are not happening. instead when I close the lid or when I press the shutdown button the computer is going into hibernate. What can I do to fix this????[/FONT]

Try restoring the default settings from the power menu (where the timings for on battery/on power are) and try altering the settings again.

I would have thought shutting the lid should be a request for either sleep or hibernate. Wakeup from sleep in particular should be just a second or two. Trouble is, power savings for a portable are deliberately designed to be protective of battery power.
Furthermore the bios is involved in these settings as well as the OS, and many people will tell you they rarely do what you want anyway - a typical case of big brother MS knows best.

Back