TechSpot

Shutdown during system resume

By pancaked
Mar 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello all,

I'm having a pretty unique issue. My laptop's battery died recently out of the blue (HP DV6t 6100). I purchased a replacement battery.

The battery seems to be working fine, holds a charge well. It doesn't fit 100% perfectly, there's a slight amount of "jiggling," but I can jiggle the battery around and the power does not turn off or anything.

When I close the lid to my laptop, it goes into sleep mode. When I reopen the lid, the log in screen appears, and then the laptop dies. I can manually turn it on again after ~15 seconds or after removing the battery and putting it back in. This does not occur when the laptop is plugged in.

I have been trying to experiment to see what else triggers this to happen. I have found that when I go into "Hibernation" mode and then wake the laptop up, it dies during the "system resume" process. It will continue to repeatedly die during system resume until it is plugged into a charger, and then starts up normally.

Does this sound like a faulty battery issue or something more? Where in the world can I find a reputable source for a HP DV6T 6100 battery?

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for the record.
    I'm inclined to just blame the battery, but as the old battery is 100% dead, I cannot know for sure.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,063   +169

Yes, I would return that "cheap" battery and make sure that you get a equavalent battery with the same HP part number

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,516   +336

Delete the exisiting hiberfil.sys file and then perform hibernation to recreate another valid copy. It's in the root directory.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.