TechSpot

Shutdown problems

By DKRON
Nov 9, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. My computer has just been having trouble shutting down, it will boot up fine and even when i have to eventually hit then power switch to turn it off it won't come up with bad shutdown errors "start windows normally"

2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

3. DKRON

DKRON TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 568   +25

Nah using Windows 7 Pro 64bit

4. akannitaoheed

akannitaoheed TS Rookie Posts: 79

What is on the display when you shutdown normally? Does it write any error message, hang or shows some screen or something?

5. DKRON

No it just idles saying "shutting down" forever, havn't left it for over half an hour

6. techsuitor

techsuitor TS Rookie Posts: 131

if you want to shut it down fast. You can do this :
    • press the Power button and Restart button at the same time for maybe 5 sec. until the fan stops. .

or you can try what gbhall has said. Actually I always do that trick. ;) lol!

7. DKRON

Yea i have been holding down the power button to power off but that can't be doing the problem any good, prob just making it worse, i will look on that site for a windows 7 verson

8. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

It's probably the same in Win7. Just open a command box and type shutdown -h which will either respond with help on the options, or 'command not found'

9. techsuitor

hmm.. it's an another option too. . please update us whatever happened ..

10. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

Basically just the same thing though, write a batch with:
    shutdown -s -f -t 0
    -f is not mentioned in the article above, but it means force shutdown.
    My guess is that it won't make a difference.

11. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

Take a peek into your Windows Event logs (particularly the System and Application log) there might be a clue there why shutdown hangs

12. DKRON

I have been looking through blogs and have tried all that, except the trace when shutting down, but i have managed to get a error to go with anyway, "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE"
    I will also attach the dump file for that error

Attached Files:

13. techsuitor

please post the additional dump error.. thanks

14. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

One dump can only give that much information; anyway, this one specifically came up with CTAudsvc.exe hanging up/cause of the crash, which is Creative Audio Service driver. Either update the driver and remove it temporarily to see whether system shutdown in a stable way.

Edit:
    I am assuming here that your system is virus/malware free and well protected.