Sick of not having a supported video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrasherFan22

I am sick and ****ing tired of the whole ******** with not having a supported video card. It seems that World of Warcraft is the only **** game in the world that I can play on this piece of **** chipset video card. Warhammer didn't work, and now Oblivion isn't working either. I don't want to have to go out and spend hundreds of dollars just to get a video card that is supported, and other necessities like a powersource that can handle an upgraded video card. Why the hell even make these **** video cards? My PC is from around 05-06, so its not TERRIBLY old.

My rant...now its time to go try and see if Mass Effect will work, which I'm betting it won't...

Nice rant :), I can understand your frustration that is the downside few know about a PC. They don't tend to come with good video card unless you specifically buy better PC with one or DIY. Also unlike a console where developers work around what hardware the console has, on PC's developers don't know what you have and tend to use what they think is best. Luckily nowadays lower end graphic cards, even mid range ones run at fairly good prices compared to what you'd need few years ago to run "newer" games. WoW is an old game made for the masses and tends to run on a lot of older machines. The other games you mentioned are rather new games and its not to surprising that they don't work.

If you could give everyone here some info about your system and gpu (not sure if you just have an onboard) that would help us in recommending some simple buys that could upgrade your system. Also there is another catch...most PC's come with bad power suppy's that tend to need to be upgraded as well if you plan to get a better video card. Hope this helps.

just to add to Relics points, 05 actually is quite dated as far as GPU's particularity, and if you are using on board graphics, that's your problem. the good news is that for less than 100 bucks you can get a card that will play those games at a reasonable resolution, and some will not even need an additional power connection...the ATI 4670 comes to mind. please provide more info on your system as Relic said.

Well, to be honest, I posted this to be a rant and thats all. Actually, I know someone who I hope will be able to help me out by looking at my PC hands on.

I am afraid, though, that I will have to buy an upgrade to my power supply. I'm hoping to meet with the guy in the next week or 2 so he can tell me what video card I need, and if I need to upgrade the power supply as well.

I might have time later tonight to post my system specs, but Im supposed to be working on school work right now. I just like to procrastinate : P

OHHHH! :haha: i missed the point, should have got out of the way and let you vent LOL, well anyway if your PSU is 350w or better you can get a card or two that may work for what you need.....or at least tolerate.

Yea, heres what I want, and a moderator might want to move this to the correct forum, now that the topic is changing:

1) A video card that is actually supported by most games
2) A card that doesn't play the games choppily. Even if I have to set my video settings to low, I don't want the game to be choppy. Otherwise, I'll go back to playing Oblivion on my xbox

05 is like the nvidia 6600 era isnt it. If you're running an onboard video card from then, you can just think, it wont work with anything withing the last few years.

I used to use an old '04 dell with an integrated Intel video chipset, and it wouldn't even run games that were listed as working on a GeForce 2 or 3 series. It was pitiful.

i miss the times when even integrated graphics would be supported by all games.
but then alas even the simple nfs with moderate graphics would not support integrated.
and at last i had to buy a new pc.
its good with consoles a single game will run the same(graphics,fps) on every ps3.
its bad with pcs a single game will run differently on every pc
all ps3s have the same hardware but all pcs dont(customizability).

Yea, heres what I want, and a moderator might want to move this to the correct forum, now that the topic is changing:

1) A video card that is actually supported by most games
2) A card that doesn't play the games choppily. Even if I have to set my video settings to low, I don't want the game to be choppy. Otherwise, I'll go back to playing Oblivion on my xbox

I would say make a new post in case a moderator doesn't move it. Just make sure you provide system info including PSU, and the budget you have available. That will for sure get the best responses. And from what you've said a 4770 might be a nice fit mid-range card that plays most everything with good fps on high-med settings. Just check around at reviews of it see if you like it and if it fits your needs (including here at TS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back