Sick system

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy2k8

My client's laptop is going really really slowly.
I've done:

AVG - clean
spyware - clean
malware - clean
hijack this - clean
CCleaner and Defrag done

I did a Memtest - nothing wrong there.
I performed storage tests with TuffTest - interestly, the Internal Controller Diagnostic Test failed, but the Seek Test and the Surface Analysis passed!!

I downloaded the manufacturer's disk test, and that passed. Then I ran SMART with the Stellar Smart Early Disk Warning System - the Fitness level on every test was 100%, except that the Seek Error rate is 32% and the Write Error Count is 22%! These don't look right.

All the processes, memory and CPU usage look fine,

51C - CPU Temp, 38C - HDD

Nothing out of the ordinary in the Event Log either.
BIOS is latest BIOS

Systems specs:

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V7010
Fujitsu PL501 motherboard
BIOS: Fujitsu Siemens / Phoenix 1.10 28/12/04

This is strange:

BelArc reports it has got 1024MB memory in slot 1, and then directly under Installed Memory, it says there's only 480MB!

FUJITSU MHT2040AT 40GB HDD
Windows XP SP3

My mate tested the disk on a Linux system and he said it was fine.

Whats happening?!

From task manager, click processes then click on the column above CPU to sort on CPU usage. You should be able to see what is hogging the cpu (by %) System Idle Process whould be at or near 99%. If it is then all is normal with processes. What does it say under the performance tab under Physical Memory?

My client's laptop is going really really slowly.
I've done:

What you didn't do was tell us how many process are on Startup.
How many processes are running in the Task Manager
Whether the Services have been customized.
Whether installed programs that are no longer used have been uninstalled.

Checking the task Manager is best done when prepared for shutdown- only don't shut down, check Task Manager instead:
taskmgr, System and System Idle should be the only CPU usage and add up to 100%. Anything over 1-2 in the CPU column needs to be checked.

You say it's a sick system, the say it's slow> which is it?
It sounds like only part of the RAM is being read,so there is some problem there also.

Latest news:

I downloaded Process Explorer; screenshot attached' I have shut down MSN, which was hogging a lot of system memory and CPU.
(I think there is a rogue process running)
I've also downloaded Security Task Manager, screenshot attached, and I also downloaded Hijack This!
I don't like that GrooveModule entry in the STM

Attachments

• process explorer.bmp
    54.8 KB · Views: 5
I can't open any of the images which are in bitmap file format.

You need to disable Teatimer to do the scans:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
Spybot S&D (Teatimer)
1. Run Spybot-S&D in Advanced Mode.
2. If it is not already set to do this Go to the Mode menu select "Advanced Mode"
3. On the left hand side, Click on Tools
4. Then click on the Resident Icon in the List
5. Uncheck "Resident TeaTimer" and OK any prompts.
6. Restart your computer.

The following 2 R1 entries bring up the URL http://search.msn.co.uk/spbasic.htm?FORM=TOOLBR
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.co.uk/0SEENGB/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://g.msn.co.uk/0SEENGB/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR

When I insert an image into Wordpad, why, when I save it as .txt, and then open it, is it empty, whereas .rtf, it's not?

Set the lowest dialogue box for Files to All types. I can open the Wordpad file- I'm just not going to change my settings to open your bitmap.

All I get when I click on Save As Type is:

Word for Windows 6
Rich Text Format
Text format
Text format (DOS)
Unicode text format

I have - all I get is a blank screen!

At startup is AVG, ZoneAlarm, MSN, Jessops Photo Suite, CTFMON.EXE, Sony Ericsson PC Suite, Windows Search and WinZip Quick Pics (CCleaner startup entries)

Other screenshots are attached

At startup is AVG, ZoneAlarm, MSN, Jessops Photo Suite, CTFMON.EXE, Sony Ericsson PC Suite, Windows Search and WinZip Quick Pics (CCleaner startup entries)

This is all you need to start up: AVG, ZoneAlarm. The others can be started manually when you need them.

Check the memory usage of the other processes.
Adobe Reader 8.1.0 32%
Apple Mobile Device Support 25% 2.3 MB
ATI External Event Utility EXE Module 17% 2.3 MB
Sony Ericsson PC Suite 16% 32.6 MB
WinZip Executable 116% 2.9 MB
Microsoft Windows Search Indexer 16% 15.9 MB
Jessops Picture Suite 11% 3.6 MB
Windows Windows Live Messenger 0% 18.2 MB

The Search index uses a lot. I recommend unchecking it on : My Computer> right click on Local Drive- usually C> UNCHECK 'allow indexing service..'> Apply> OK

Then shut down the Service itself:
Start> Run> services.msc> right click on 'Indexing"> Properties> change Startup type to either Manual or disabled.

The time you save in Indexing isn't worth the resources it uses.

Why drag this stuff around with you! Everything that starts on boot runs in the background. This uses resources. It slows you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back