Side-by-side configuration is incorrect

molzz

whenever i try using task manager in wondows 7 i get the error that "side by side configuration is incorrect". I googled it and didnt get any working solutions, then i got this forum with a similar post and one member LOOKING AROUND helping him with it. he said to install some c++ files, i follwed him and have installed as many packages i found.

here's a screenshot of my spec,the problem and list of files i have downloaded. please help guys.

http // i.imgur.com/rUTbu . png

thanks for the reply squared, and since i just joined the forum said i need to have atleast 5 post to paste a link so i pasted link with spaces!

and thanks for ur link i am viewing it now

You're welcome, molzz. I forgot about that 5-post rule.

Your Event Log contains the information needed to determine what SXS issues exist. Can you provide that, like you did the screenshot? The screenshot of your Installed Programs tells what's there but not what's missing/needed.

I am using windows7 ultimate, and as of now i dont know what to do to view the application logs, i found out and in win7 i viewed in event viewer. and i am getting 14mb's of event data in "application" section
here is my screenshot

http :/ /imgur. com/4T5eB

you mentioned of using System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) but on running it nearly after 60% of scanning the window gets closed automatically.

You may have a virus or trojan that is interfering with both Task Manager and SFC. What security programs do you have installed? Have you run scans since this problem began? If not, please do so. A potentially "quick fix" if, indeed, there is a trojan may be found here: www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html. "Trojan Remover" will look for and correct many malwares' changes that disable Task Manager, etc.

If you are infected, you should open a new thread in the Malware Removal area.
But, before doing that, please:
1. Run the virus/malware scans and advise their results.
2. Post a searchable, text-based copy of your Event Log.

the trojan remover didnt find anything nor did MalwareByte found.

so i guess i am fine with no trojans in my pc and i am using AVG antivirus up to date.

A clean system is good, I guess, tho' it would have been "nice" if things had been that easy, huh? :)

Is a System Restore a viable option? Is this a x86 or x64 system?

Assuming you log on as an Administrator, if you haven't already, try turning off UAC (User Account Control) in Control Panel> User Accounts> Change user account settings and move the slider down to Never Notify. Reboot. Does Task Manager behave now?

If not, however logged on, try to run SFC as Administrator, like this?:
Start> All Programs> Accessories; right-click Command Prompt and click Run as Administrator. Type sfc /scannow and then press Enter.

Running the System Update Readiness Tool can also fix certain SXS issues. Run it by right-clicking the executable and clicking Run as Administrator. Find the right version here:
Windows 7 32bit: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=181491
Windows 7 64bit: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=181492
This tool takes a while and shows no progress bar. So, be patient.

Googling around reveals "autoelevate" issues to be particularly difficult. If the above does not resolve your issue, then uninstalling and reinstalling all VC++ components is recommended next, and in this order:
1. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64)
2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
3. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)
4. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
5. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

Followed by uninstalling and reinstalling all .NET Framework:
1. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3
2. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
3. Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (x86)
4. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
5. Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer)
6. Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable
BTW: A great tool for verifying .NET integrity can be found here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/attachment/8999004.ashx

BBTW: Windows 7 has a nice System Diagnostics feature that allows you to diagnose your system in real-time and on-the-fly. In the Start Menu's search box, type perfmon /report and then hit Enter. Before doing so, however, be prepared to start Task Manager and any other problem apps, as the Tool starts immediately and records only 60-seconds of activity. You can then look at the Diagnostics section and see what issues have been detected, possibly with a direct link to a fix.

Please advise any progress.

Good luck.

A clean system is good, I guess, tho' it would have been "nice" if things had been that easy, huh? :)

Is a System Restore a viable option? Is this a x86 or x64 system?

Assuming you log on as an Administrator, if you haven't already, try turning off UAC (User Account Control) in Control Panel> User Accounts> Change user account settings and move the slider down to Never Notify. Reboot. Does Task Manager behave now?

If not, however logged on, try to run SFC as Administrator, like this?:
Start> All Programs> Accessories; right-click Command Prompt and click Run as Administrator. Type sfc /scannow and then press Enter.

Running the System Update Readiness Tool can also fix certain SXS issues. Run it by right-clicking the executable and clicking Run as Administrator. Find the right version here:
Windows 7 32bit: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=181491
Windows 7 64bit: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=181492
This tool takes a while and shows no progress bar. So, be patient.

Googling around reveals "autoelevate" issues to be particularly difficult. If the above does not resolve your issue, then uninstalling and reinstalling all VC++ components is recommended next, and in this order:
1. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64)
2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
3. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)
4. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
5. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

Followed by uninstalling and reinstalling all .NET Framework:
1. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3
2. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
3. Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (x86)
4. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
5. Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer)
6. Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable
BTW: A great tool for verifying .NET integrity can be found here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/attachment/8999004.ashx

BBTW: Windows 7 has a nice System Diagnostics feature that allows you to diagnose your system in real-time and on-the-fly. In the Start Menu's search box, type perfmon /report and then hit Enter. Before doing so, however, be prepared to start Task Manager and any other problem apps, as the Tool starts immediately and records only 60-seconds of activity. You can then look at the Diagnostics section and see what issues have been detected, possibly with a direct link to a fix.

Please advise any progress.

Good luck.

thanks for your help dude you rock!
I am using 64bit windows 7 ultimate.
whatever i am trying to do for eg. the task manager or anyother already installed apps. i assume the task manager as an app or even you said perfmon all generate the same message of side by side config. and in event log they all have the same auto elevate problem. so i guess instead of sorting out each and every problem, i will get the backup of my other files and just plainly re-install the windows.

btw i already did uninstalling of c++ librarys and installed a fresh copy but not the .net framework.

I will do the backup tomorrow untill i will make arrangements for external hard disk as they are preety pricey now a days.

if i dont get a hand on external then ill use the readiness tool. thanks again. ill report back here if i use the readiness tool

Back