Sigmatel c-major audio driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtBlades

A couple days ago my sound suddenly stopped working for no reason whatsoever. I go and google some stuff and I see that a load of others who also have an Inspiron 6000 with SigmaTel C-Major audio card had their sound quit on them randomly with no explainable reason. But, here's my thing, it doesn't say that the card doesn't exist, it says that the drivers aren't installed. So, I go to the dell site and download SigmaTel STAC 975x AC97 driver for Inspiron 6000. I start the install and after a few minutes it will stop and says my card doesn't exist on this machine. But before I installed the AC97 one, I accidentally installed the HD audio version. That one found my card and recognized it and installed. But it installed through Windows Update and then installed through it's own executable and said that the card doesn't exist blah blah blah... Anyway, the sound still doesn't work.

(error given through add hardware) The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

Any help?

Dell Inspiron 6000
Intel Celeron M
Windows XP SP3 Home Edition

1) Ummm.. are you certain of your Dell model?
=> Go to Dell support. Click Drivers and Downloads. Click to Enter Service Tag number then allow the option to let Dell search your computer to tell you the right model and drivers

2) When you run Windows Update are you clicking Custom? Do so and make sure all the critical AND all hardware optional updates have been applied.

3) If after above you still have problems, let's take a look at just what Device Manager is complaining about
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Multimedia Audio Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_01881028&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&F2 The drivers for this device are not installed.

I already did the service tag thing and downloaded the driver it gave me. The SIgmaTel STAC 975x AC97 is the one it gives me to download and when I try to install it says "Device object not present, reset the system and run setup again." I've done this MANY times. And each time it gives me the same error.

For your Dell Inspiron 6000
>> STAC 975x AC97 is the right Dell driver for your audio device
>> Are you downloading Dell file R99254.exe?

Then the question remains why isn’t Windows seeing your device….So first try this

Make sure Windows isn’t blocking unsigned drivers
>> Rt click My Computers->Properties->Hardware
>> Click Driver Signing button
>> Select Warn (if you want to be prompted first) or Ignore
>> Also check the box for Make this action the system default

Reload your chipset drivers
>> Click here. Download and install

Now try re-installing your audio driver and if problem remains we'll go from there.

Rats.

OK. Then next reboot your computer. As soon as it starts to powers up start tapping F2 key once a second. Should take you into your Dell BIOS setup. Carefully look through each page of the BIOS settings to see if any "onboard" devices are set to disabled. Also note which onboard devices are an option in the BIOS (sound is usually one of them)

never mind man. i can't get to that because the moniter is busted and i always use a different one hooked up to the vga port on this and it only turns on when it logs in. so... this is as far as i go. I really don't want to put even a penny into fixing this laptop as it is QUITE old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back