Signal strength good but still acquiring network address

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalba

HI hi
I'm getting excellent signal strength but for the past hour I've been getting "acquiring network address".

I switched to a different wireless signal, and it connected quite easily. Tried back with the latter...still "acquiring network address"

Tried repairing IP ....didn't solve it.

Any solutions?

Thanks in advance.:blackeye:

Do you have any other computers connected to this wireless network? Or do you have any others you can use to try and connect?

Also, if you know how, you may want to login to your router, and check the dhcp settings. Let me know if you need help with this. If you do, what brand/model router do you have?

there are other computers that are wireless, and they are connecting easily.
is only my dumb *** that isn't getting thru. :(

Try this

make sure there are enough addresses for your computer to get one. For example if you have 4 addresses open and 5 computers, the 5th one wont connect because it doesnt have an address.

maybe this might explain better:

Only 4 addresses open

192.168.1.100 - computer1
192.168.1.101 - computer2
192.168.1.102 - computer3
192.168.1.103 - computer4

your computer wont connect. you need an address such as 192.186.1.104 so it will.

Hope this makes sense and helps ya :)

There should be a setting in your router that lets you set (or automatically sets) up addresses for everything that needs to connect. On my Linksys I can set between 1 and 50 addresses. Now what I was trying to explain earlier is that if only 4 of these addresses are open, the 5th computer wont connect till there is an opening. Check and see if this has happened.

Darkshadoe: that's a very dumb router :(

Every four-port router I've see will support a larger set of DHCP assignments, as
even you sited
>On my Linksys I can set between 1 and 50 addresses.

My Netgear has a switch attached (yielding 7 usable wired ports) and one goes to
a Linksys with still another four ports.

The Netgear router provides ALL dhcp assignments and even w/o the Linksys,
I've got six systems running.

If there was a wireless a/p or router, the Netgear would STILL provide dhcp assignments and more than four connections.

If you can't get the fifth system to connect, then
  • the nic is not configured for DHCP
  • the router is not providing dhcp
  • OR the router firmware desperately needs an update

Darkshadoe: that's a very dumb router :(

Every four-port router I've see will support a larger set of DHCP assignments, as
even you sited
>On my Linksys I can set between 1 and 50 addresses.

My Netgear has a switch attached (yielding 7 usable wired ports) and one goes to
a Linksys with still another four ports.

The Netgear router provides ALL dhcp assignments and even w/o the Linksys,
I've got six systems running.

If there was a wireless a/p or router, the Netgear would STILL provide dhcp assignments and more than four connections.

If you can't get the fifth system to connect, then
  • the nic is not configured for DHCP
  • the router is not providing dhcp
  • OR the router firmware desperately needs an update

Let's see.. I'm trying to help a person get a computer working with their router and you spout off what basically amounts to "my router is better than your router"? Are you f**king serious? lmao

I'll get mah Pokemon cards and meet you at recess..lmfao

now now now people ....let's keep the peace here...lol

ummm....nooooo i do not believe that area got affected.

btw...it's a zhone adsl router.

jalba:

Let's go back to the beginning and start from scratch please

1. There should be a tag on your router which tells you mfr make, model, version number etc. Please let us know. Also, do you know make/model of wireless adapter on your computer?

2. Have you checked (or need instructions on how to check) that you have the latest firmware running in the router

3. Is your problem strictly related to wireless connections? or have you seen similar problem occur on wired connections?

4. Curious as you say it all worked fine with "different wireless signal". Do you mean a different wireless channel?
=> Any reason not to simply leave it on that channel?
=> Which wireless channel do you typically use?

...you spout off what basically amounts to "my router is better than your router"?
Sorry you were offended there as that was not the goal at all. I was making an example of what you should have been able to expect
from ANY four port router
. If it doesn't behave that way then 'it really is a dumb router'.

You're somewhat recent to Techspot, but if you look about, you'll see I've been here posting experiences and procedures that are not personal. Suggest you evaluate comments more carefully.

btw: Zhone has several firmware updates -- just be sure to get the one that matches your make/model :)

HEY EVERYBODY!!!!!! I FIXED IIITTTT!!!!

i went into the zhone software and changed the data encryption from AES to TKIP. AND IT WORKS!!! otherwise, i would not be online to send y'all this message.
Thanks for alll your support, and i promise to drop a next problem VERYYYY sooonn!!!! lol!!!!

well done :giddy:

Yes, encryption sometimes creates compatibility issues :(

Sorry you were offended there as that was not the goal at all. I was making an example of what you should have been able to expect
from ANY four port router
. If it doesn't behave that way then 'it really is a dumb router'.

You're somewhat recent to Techspot, but if you look about, you'll see I've been here posting experiences and procedures that are not personal. Suggest you evaluate comments more carefully.

"You're somewhat recent to Techspot"

Wrong again. I've actually been around longer than you have.

"but if you look about, you'll see I've been here posting experiences and procedures that are not personal"

You and 1000 other people. WHOOP-DEE-DOO! You made it personal when you attacked my trying to help someone. You could have just offered your advice just like everyone else, but no..you wanted to try and stroke your ego and verbally attack me and whatever equipment I may own. OOOOOO aren't we the L337 one huh?

Suggest you evaluate comments more carefully

Or what..you'll make another post?...Lmfao. I really like how you try to save face and say "Sorry you were offended there as that was not the goal at all." and then make yourself out as some kind of forum god and that I shouldn't make you angry or you'll rain toads down on me.

Please start sending the toads..I have an umbrella.

Wow, Dark, you sound like a teenage girl. That's ashame. Jo's post wasn't an attack on you or your equipment. You have any idea what a "dumb terminal" is? I'm pretty sure he meant dumb in that way when he was talking about the router.

peace dude -- I don't play king of the mountain and I don't bring a chip on my shoulder to public forums. I'll not bother you any further -- kindly refrain with the same courtesy towards me. I've unsubscribed from this tirade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back