TechSpot

Silver Thermal Compound expiration?

By techgeek05
Aug 5, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello! Just like the title says, does this stuff expire? I just found some while I was searching and I forgot that I had it. I now remember it's probably about a year to a year and a half or so old.It's a little less than half a tube left and I want to replace my HSF unit with one with a copper-base. Can I still use what's left over or should I buy another new tube?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Provided the tube has been sealed properly, it should still be good to use.

Regards Howard :)
  3. techgeek05

techgeek05 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

Thanks, man! It still has the cap on it.
  4. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,573   +9

If it comes out, and feels about the same as it did half a year before, I don't see why you can't use it :p

Also, remember that AS5 (and most other thermal compounds) should be reapplied every 3-5 years. I can't remember where I got that advice, but I'm sticking to it anyway. :D
  5. techgeek05

techgeek05 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

Every 3-5 years, gotcha! Thanks!
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

by 5 years your PC is pretty much obsolete anyway!
  7. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,573   +9

I've used computers past 7 years before.... Besides, they make good file servers/firewalls/etc. If you wanna dump a northwood (or AMD equivalent), feel free to dump them this way.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.