SimCity hotfix to disable non-critical gameplay features

By Shawn Knight
Mar 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Electronic Arts is still working around the clock to resolve issues surrounding the launch of SimCity earlier this week. In what is a surprise to nobody except EA, the servers required to play the DRM-laden title haven’t been able to...

Read more
  2. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,022   +87

So glad I never buy at launch. Steam and other sales FTW.
    psycros likes this.
  3. Persistent online DRM = Tyranny of the VG Sheeple
    No Thanks, I'd rather not be able to logon to the servers and still have $60 in my pocket.
    avoidz and psycros like this.
  4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,470   +299

Worst Launch in the history of persistent online DRM... Ever...
    avoidz and hammer2085 like this.
  5. Rasta211

Rasta211 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 194   +24

I'm pretty sure all these problems go away when you buy their additional "No Lag" download content.
    psycros likes this.
  6. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash Newcomer, in training Posts: 120   +34

This is not a DRM issue, it's a SimCity is a multiplayer-only game and the servers are terrible issue. The disabling of Cheetah speed makes it sound like the game's simulation is not running completely client-side because why would the client sync with the server in game time and not real time? If that's the case and SimCity does some sort of cloud computing stuff for everyone playing the game, then that's not DRM. That's a fundamental design decision. Whether it's to make it easier to sync data among the region's players or because running all the simulation client-side would blow up the minimum CPU requirements, I don't know. Maybe both.

Don't get me wrong though. I hated the direction that they took SimCity and I delight in EA's misfortune. Even if this was on Steam, I still would not have bought it.
    avoidz and psycros like this.
  7. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

There needs to be a single player option, as well as an option to play on a lan. I was able to play fine the first night, and most of that 1st day, until they shut down the servers for updates. I haven't been able to get online at all for 2 days now though... For me, this was EA's last chance, and as a die hard fan of the old SC franchise I bought it willing to take the risk, however I won't be purchasing any more games from them again. First unstoppable hacking and admin abuse on BF3, then that clusterfu** of a game MOHWF, now this buggy pos. During the beta, I must have sent them a dozen or more reports on piss poor server performance, and it's obvious they really just dgaf.

BTW- Sorry to the admins about my abbreviated profanities circumventing the filters. There just aren't any polite words, that I know of, in the English language that can get my point across as well as those do. Besides, I'm not in the mood to sugarcoat anything, especially now that I'm out $80 with no chance of a refund.
    psycros likes this.
  8. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 670   +202

So, EA needs always-online DRM to curb PC game piracy..and then their servers can't handle the huge number of games that they sold. Meanwhile the pirates are playing it offline with no problems. You can't write this stuff.
    avoidz and wastedkill like this.
  9. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,043   +218

EA has just sealed my deal of pirating there game thanks to this and EA so I was going to buy this until they went all failure on it now its just gonna make me pirate it :)
    ReederOnTheRun likes this.
  10. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,576   +76

Megapolis on FaceBook works and it's free..
  11. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 571   +98

Well, EA just saved me $60.

12. How do companies manage to NEVER have enough servers at launch? Can they not predict that people who pre-order / buy on the first day will want to play on the first day?

Not being able to play a single player game because of server capacity is a kick in the balls.
    avoidz likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.