Command & Conquer price cut to $2 has got us thinking EA could announce a new series entry

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Select Command & Conquer games and expansion packs are now available over on Steam at a fraction of their normal price, leading some to believe that a new entry in the series could be on the way.

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, a mainline sequel originally released in 2007, has been marked down to just $1.99 on Steam. Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath, an expansion pack that launched later that same year, is also on sale for $1.99. Similarly, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 can also come home for $1.99. The latter's standalone expansion pack, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 – Uprising, is priced even cheaper at $1.49.

It's unclear exactly when the cuts went into effect, but they appear to be permanent. The Steam listings make no mention of a discount, and instead show the low prices as the normal (non-sale) rate.

Using the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, we can get a rough idea of when the price change might have occurred. According to the Wayback Machine, Red Alert 3 and Red Alert 3 – Uprising both sold for $19.99 as recently as mid-February. It appears as if the Wayback Machine hasn't recently crawled the others.

The first game in the Command & Conquer series arrived in 1995 courtesy of Westwood Studios. The real-time strategy title won multiple game of the year awards and spawned an entire franchise that remained active until the 2010 release of Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight. The series slowed down at that point but hasn't stopped completely.

EA most recently launched the C&C remastered collection in 2020 to celebrate the franchise's 25th anniversary. That year, EA also announced it would be releasing source code for the first two games in the series, allowing users to create custom maps, trade out artwork, modify gameplay logic, and more.

Notably, prices remain elevated on other gaming platforms like Xbox. We also haven't heard anything about a new entry, but that doesn't mean the possibility is off the table.

Permalink to story.

After red alert 2 and tiberium wars, the series had gone down..
there was no notable game that make me enjoy this series as those two games..

I think I stopped after RE2, but happy to pick it up at this price just to try it out. Had fond memories of zapping people and tanks with the tesla coils. LOL. I do feel the series became more like a show with all the cut scenes featuring various actors, but the game play kind of stagnated.

If the new entry is much more similar to the original westwood's games, maybe I'll give a try... if it's the usual microtransaction looted clogged multiplayer-centric game, I'll pass.

Well tiberium wars was fun, but the lack of a random map generator or even a map maker killed longevity. Tiberium Twilight sucked because it was an always online live service.

I have hilarious memories of Tiberium Sun LANs.

Not sure what you're referring to. There is a nice cache of community created maps that still -- to this day -- provide next-level fun & challenging skirmishes in Tiberian Wars and Kane.

Not sure what you're referring to. There is a nice cache of community created maps that still -- to this day -- provide next-level fun & challenging skirmishes in Tiberian Wars and Kane.
Welp that wasn't really a thing when me and my friends quit playing 10-11 years ago

Was a big fan of red alert back in the day.

Generals is fun too and prob my favorite. My buddy and I still play it multiplayer to this day for some brain dead blowing stuff up fun. Last time we played we tested how many nukes it takes to crash the game, good times.

Red Alert was always my favourite, followed by the original C&C then RA2 with it's incredible intro and hammy FMV sequences.

Generals was also pretty decent, though pretty on-the-nose with it's factions given the era it was released, not that my 13 year old self realised at the time.

Tiberium was also good. I recall everyone hated it at the time which I never understood.

Red Alert was always my favourite, followed by the original C&C then RA2 with it's incredible intro and hammy FMV sequences.

Generals was also pretty decent, though pretty on-the-nose with it's factions given the era it was released, not that my 13 year old self realised at the time.

Tiberium was also good. I recall everyone hated it at the time which I never understood.
Which tiberium? Sun, wars and twilight were all tiberium games with tiberium sun being loved with wars and especially twilight being hated.

Back