Simple way to create 95 Gig file...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a very simple way to create an enormous file (about 95 Go large :dead: ), with a text file for example.
Is there a way in Windows XP to change a file's size so that the OS believes it's much bigger than it really is?

Well, simple enough: I've got an old game (Broken Sword 1, for those interested) and a recent PC with 100 Gb Hard disk; and the old game happens not to recognise such a capacity... It needs 15 Mb but thinks there is less...
I searched for technical support and the only way to make it work that was found is to fill the hard disk with trash until there is only about 5 Gb left...

i remember an encryption program which would create an scrambled file (volume really) to what ever size you require, to use it, you mount it with a password, else its just a file of x.MB/GB

dont remember the progs names tho.

That does not make much sense to me. It looks like it would have problems with the partition size rather than the free space size.

Regardless, if you make a smaller partition, I bet it will work.

Programs like Partition Magic will make new partitions and retain your data.

Why not just partition the drive like Rick suggested? I really don't think filling the drive will make matters better, since the disk size will still be the same, it will just have less free space and prolly still won't be detected right by the old game.

Partitioning however will split the disk into several smaller disks.

BTW, I would like to see this misinformation you refer to that told you to fill the disk as a way of making that game work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back