TechSpot

Single loud Beep

By Blackjack
Feb 18, 2009
  1. Hey all,

So I was playing World of Warcraft and all of the sudden a single, loud beep emitted from my computer. Nothing like this has ever happened before. I know that when a computer beeps as such it is usually trying to tell you something of importance. I don't know what it means, so if anybody could let me know what it is and how to fix it, i'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Blackjack

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Does anything happen after the Beep? It could be that you have the CPU overheating alarm in the bios, set too low

3. Blackjack

Blackjack TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 62

Nope. PC ran normally right after.

4. Tmagic650

So increase the CPU warning temp in the bios one notch

5. Blackjack

Blackjack TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 62

CPU running at 40c
    GPU running at 70c
    System running at 34c

These are all at idle

is this normal?

6. Tmagic650

The Graphic Processing Unit (GPU) is a little hot. Raising the motherboard alarm temp a little won't hurt, and it may just stop the loud beeping

7. random fires

random fires TS Rookie

Bit of cleaning wouldn't hurt either. Since everything is still running normally, a can of air could do wonders. Your MainBoard Manual would have codes for the many beeps it can make, or look up the make/model online. Take it as a sign to give the insides some love, and ventalation.

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

read the BIOS beep guide in the guides forum

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.