Single slot high-end cards

By 12johnni
Sep 28, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hello TechSpot Community,

I am stuck with a slow 9600GT, and am going to go for a huge computer upgrade after saving up some more. My i3 530 is going to be replaced with an i7 875k and the stock cooler may be replaced by watercooling if I have a spare few hundred bucks.

Now, I am a fan of single slot cooling. When I saw the EVGA HydroCopper GTX 470and 480, I was just like 'wow, how nice would one of those be!' But I will never buy an Nvidia card at the moment as they use power, overheat and are expensive, especially the water cooled ones. However, the new HD 6000 series, which I am hoping will smoke the GTX 480 (not literally - I am not buying a PCI-E Barbeque), are a more likely candidate for my new computer.

The problem is that the current flagship from ATi (soon to be AMD), the HD 5870, has the two DL-DVI's stacked on top of each other, so even if watercooled it will still take up two slots. The Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 does not have this problem, but I can't find any sources of single-slot faceplates. Are there any available, or do I have to get it cut in half myself?

Before anyone asks, I am not thinking of getting the more expensive Eyefinity Edition just for the sake of single slotness. I also want the extra monitor outputs for various projects, but it is not completely necessary. Should I buy the current Eyefinity HD 5870, or wait to see if the standard HD 6870 has the same problem, or buy the HD 6870 Eyefinity card? Of course I could go for a dual GPU, but I have survived with a 9600GT for long enough and will noot need that power. I try not to let my computer take over my life, but cannot live with it being this slow. If I buy a beast now, I shouldn't have to worry for at least three years.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.