TechSpot

SiS Port Driver Issue

By larrybody
Jul 1, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upon statup of a three month old Windows XP pro SP2 machine I get a error message "Control Service". Upon checking device manager under other hardware SiS Port Driver is listed with a yellow !. I don't know what this device is or where I might find a driver to install. My chipset is a SiS K7S41GX. I could dowload drivers from the SiS or the motherboard manufactures web sites, but I don't know what this device is. I have disabled the device and everything seems to be running OK (no more error messages), but its not how I want to leave it. I know the BIOS or Windows detects it, but I am not sure what it might be.

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

I`m not sure exactly what the device is, but it`s undoubtably part of the chipset drivers.

Go HERE and download your chipset drivers. Then, re-enable the device in your device manager and install the drivers.

Regards Howard :)

3. larrybody

larrybody TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 42

Device still unkown

I have replaced all chipset drivers pertaining to this particular motherboard. Still the SiS Port driver device is listed as unkown in device manager. As far as I can determine it is some sort of legacy device. Instead of disabeling the device I uninstalled it this time. After several reboots no error messages and the device does not show up again. That does not mean that it won't. A extened google search let me to someone that had the same problem, but never solved it. I will email support for the motherboard manufacturer to see if they have ever ran across this anomalie.
    Thanks Howard for your reply.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.