Sitting at My Monitor and Rotating... um ... it

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincranky

I would like to use dual displays in sort of an unusual way. One displaying in "landscape" (horizontal) orientation, the other in "portrait" (vertical) orientation.
What I'm trying to accomplish is outputting Photoshop's full screen slideshow to both monitors simultaneously. The net result would be this, horizontal photos would display full screen on the horizontal display, while the vertical photos would be reduced in size. Meanwhile, vertical photos would display full screen on the vertical monitor, and of course the horizontal photos would be clipped to the width of the X axis of the monitor.

The closest I have come to this is in "clone" mode of dual display. However, it won't allow me to rotate the signal to only one monitor. You get both or nothing. I even installed Sumsung's "Magic Rotation" software, but since software happens before the video driver, both screens still rotate at once.

I have attempted to implement "dual view mode" (which seems like it should be the correct mode for what I'm trying to do), but so far, I've only been able to get wallpaper, and the mouse cursor displayed. So, that's pretty useless. Don't know if I've missed a configuration click somewhere, I swear I've tried them all.

So, is it even possible to do what I'm trying to do?:confused:

Also, there's a plan "B" I'm hatching with another machine that has onboard video and a video card. I think that BIOS allows you to enable both, but I'll have to check.

You really need two video cards to attempt to pull something like that. I just tried it on my laptop with external monitor: no go. The clone is literally a clone - same orientation and resolution. Not sure, but maybe an X2 card from ATI?

I'm with you on the issue - I, literally, shoot more pictures in landscape just to match the monitor orientation.

Just occured to me (screwy, bul will get the job done) - DO NOT rotate the portrait orientation pictures, store them as landscape. Clone the desktop and physically rotate one of the monitors. One of the two monitors will be in the right orientation. Lame, I know.

I dont think you can do it with an X2 card, I would pickup a real cheap extra video card, and see if it works.

I also believe you would need 2 separate video cards to accomplish the task.

This can be done with the nVidia control panel, if you have an nvidia card. But I'm sure if you did have an nvidia card you would have already tried that.

This can be done with the nVidia control panel, if you have an nvidia card. But I'm sure if you did have an nvidia card you would have already tried that.

Well, actually I do have an Nvidia card, and I am familiar with the Nvidia control panel. And you're absolutely right, with the "dual view" option, you can rotate the monitors individually. What I have been unable to do is output the Photoshop slide show to both monitors in this configuration. Just goes to to the primary, and that's it

Dual view works dandy for me if I just want wallpaper and the mouse cursor scurrying about the screen.

As I said, I may have missed a click somewhere, and if I knew what click it was, I wouldn't have missed it.

What is needed is a way to "trick" PS into sending a signal to the rotated monitor.

Just occured to me (screwy, bul will get the job done) - DO NOT rotate the portrait orientation pictures, store them as landscape. Clone the desktop and physically rotate one of the monitors. One of the two monitors will be in the right orientation. Lame, I know.
Been there done that.

Using PSE's tags and collections system offers a passable way of doing this. Simply tag all verticals "vertical", and all horizontals (obviously), "horizontal". Then turn on only the monitor you wish to use, (H or V), and let the tags supply the properly oriented photos. Samsung's "Magic Rotation", will rotate the monitor with a simple click, right off the desktop. Very passable, but imagine what a thing of beauty it would be, to simply glance toward the monitor that's displaying the full frame image at the time.

You guys may be on the right track about needing two video cards but remember, it's not the card that's supplying the rotation, it's the driver. So in that case, it seems you might need two drivers installed. I doubt if you could do that, since one would likely overwrite the other.

This might be worth an email to EVGA and/or Nvidia.

Anyway, thanks for the hit back! If you can think of anything else, please share.

Well, i think even with the dual view, you still have one signal... or one signal source rather.

Thats where a 2nd card comes into play. A 2nd card, an additional driver, etc etc... I think this is the road the answer lies down.

You won't need more graphics cards for this, you just need an application that has an option to display fullscreen images on different monitors. I don't know of any that can display some on one monitor and some on another without user interaction.

that sound correct -- think of how one uses (2x) monitors normally
you drag a window onto the monitor of choice​
Only the OS knows of that change and the application just delivers data to its window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back