Six-core Nehalem processor to arrive this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

According to bit-tech and some unnamed sources close to Intel, the company is planning to release a six-core Nehalem processor sometime this year, probably around September when the first Lynnfield chips and P55 motherboards are expected to arrive. This latest Intel chip is said to be compatible with LGA1366 sockets and should work with existing X58 boards after a BIOS update; which apparently most vendors have already deployed.

It will sit at the top end alongside the Core i7 975 EE on this platform as Intel will be phasing the rest of its Core i7 processors out – even the Core i7 950 announced last week. The new processor may not be marketed with the Core i7 label though. Pricing details are also missing for now, but you can expect this CPU to be crazily expensive if and when it arrives.

Permalink to story.

These processors will cost an arm and a leg, its the typical intel way because of lack of competition.

aolish said:
These processors will cost an arm and a leg, its the typical intel way because of lack of competition.
Correction: It's the typical way because of lack of competition. This isn't specific to Intel.
I personally can't blame them... though I wouldn't do that.
But I bet it keeps the shareholders happy!

It probably SHOULD cost an arm and a leg. If it's not 32nm, which it doesn't appear is the case, then that is one huge chip. They have very little market for Core i7 as it is, (it's 1-2% of their shipped CPUs through the end of this year), but this will be more expensive to manufacture, and big time overkill for nearly anyone. Supply and demand pretty much leaves no possibility but for it to be very expensive. Considering what else they'll be pushing at that time, they definitely don't have any intention of mass producing this, and so they'll target the very specific people who need it, or, if nothing else, just have the money lying around to throw at it.

They didn't say anything about a server version, though. That would seem like a given, since it's the same socket type, but it doesn't necessarily make sense for a server version to be a few months down the road. There will be the 8 core Nehalem EX, and the 6 core 32nm update should be on its way not long after a 45nm 6 core Xeon would have the chance to surface.

This looks like another "beta test" of some sort. Of what, exactly, is hard to say, but apparently, it serves some purpose to Intel other than just making a better desktop CPU.

"I personally can't blame them... though I wouldn't do that. "
Good for you, I know I probably would...just a tiny bit xD.

"I'm holding out for the 10 Core processor . . . this is starting to get ridiculous."
I'm going for the 16/32 Sandy bridge ^^.

As it is with any new or modified technology, your going to pay a premium for the latest and greatest... Heck that's common since. We need to ask ourselves, are we not pleased with our current processor, yes I know some of us are not, but just the same, must you really have the six core processor? What is it that your doing that requires you to have a six core processor? i am running an Intel core II duo at 2.8 Ghz. and that suites my needs for everything I run.
I suppose to sum it up, if you have the money knock yourself out! and then go brag to your buddies how you over paid for the latest technology in an effort to create a glimpse of jealousy amongst them, and in the end... scratch your head asking why did I have to have this....

if you must have speed, watch for SSD Drive technology, your system is only as fast as it's weakest link.

Hmmmm... Things to ponder.

As I see it, they should switch all core i7 to a six core design.....while keeping the Lynnfield (or is it core i5?) as their mainstream higher end quad core desktop processor. Otherwise, it will be difficult for intel to justify the distinction (and hefty price difference) between core i7 and i5, if both remain quad core.

Unfortunately, there's not a "hefty" price difference between Lynnfield and Bloomfield platforms - there's barely any. The CPUs have very similar prices, X58s keep going down, and P55s aren't going to be cheap. After an entire year since the initial release of Core i7, that's nothing appreciable. Lynnfields also have a better turbo mode and will probably outperform Bloomfields. That's exactly why Lynnfield is being labeled Core i7 and replacing the current line.

The current CPUs with X58 boards don't serve Intel any sort of "beta testing" purpose anymore, so they're going a different direction with it. There's no reason for them to focus on that as a primary desktop platform. The only reason they're putting any emphasis on Lynnfield is that the socket type/chipsets are the same as for Westmere, which will follow very soon after.

Again, there's no telling what they're up to with these 6 core Nehalems, but the way they're rearranging things suggests they have yet another "beta test" in the works.

To comment on having an SSD... yes, it's a beautiful thing. Even just having a small one for the O/S makes quite an impact. I love mine.

That being said... companies are still trying to figure out what to do with quad-cores. I imagine six-cores will be fantastic for graphic design/animation/video development servers/workstations... but my needs have been met, and I imagine for quite some time. It's awesome that I'll be able to use my mboard w/ the new chips, but it's unlikely that I'll upgrade to a 6-core proc at the prices we all expect anytime soon. I'd be more inclined to see how much the faster 4-core procs are, when they arrive. If it's cost effective, maybe I'll opt for an i7 975 ee in a couple of years. By cost effective, I mean $100-200 range.

What they should do is move the core i7 into a position to replace the core 2, making the new 6-cores in an i7 position that's serves as leader of the pack.

who needs a six core for a desktop pc?
even quad core is too much for me,i dont run 10 applications at a time
i am perfectly fine with my dual core e7400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back