Six-strike anti-piracy warning system delayed until 2013

By Jos
Nov 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The "six-strike" warning system that aims to curb illegal downloads in the U.S. has been postponed until early 2013.  Previously scheduled to go live this week, the Center for Copyright Information has now announced that ISPs are not ready to...

Read more
  2. VPN like hidemyass will rake it in ..
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 857   +273

Strikes need to be increased to infinity and all warnings should come with a complementary $5 iTunes gift card, the use of which reduces the number of strikes on record by 1 per card, encouraging the legal acquisition of copyrighted materials.

"Well, that's just stupid," you say? Perhaps. But I guarantee it would do more to reduce piracy than a strike policy.
    avoidz likes this.
  4. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Im sure they have a way to see which of their customers are using VPN. It even states that they will block you from "certain" websites in the article. No company or business would invest as much as the ISP have to impliment this system if they didnt have a way to track their customers. Heres where it gets into a grey area. If the ISP imbed into the start up program some form of spyware to point out those ppl who are attempting to circumvent the ISP tracking, wouldnt that in general invade a individuals right of privacy? Its a applaudable effort they are attempting, but it smacks way too much of a buttload of Constitutional violation. Best bet would to be to stop pirating now, and just keep off their radar.
  5. seefizzle

seefizzle Newcomer, in training Posts: 98   +11

I don't think you understand very much about any of the things you just wrote down. It doesn't work like that.
  6. seefizzle

seefizzle Newcomer, in training Posts: 98   +11

You're using some really goofy logic, but there are no holes in your argument sir.
    davislane1 likes this.
  7. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

@see
    Well then, since ive posted a question. Give the answer. How does it work then. Am I to assume you work for a ISP or are working on the project yourself? Why not educate us all on how it works so we can all be informed.
  8. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 364   +66

So stupid to get ISP's involved. Prepare and increase in customer service call volume lol. I heard of hide my *** if this would to go through I will look in to http://www.hidemyass.com/.
  9. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,884   +606

Honestly though... that's exactly the sort of the thing the govt would pass (execpt the $5 gift card part). Think about it... strikes at infinity and they get reduced for each infraction. This is win-win for a politician. They can spout off about being tough on piracy and flaunt that they passed an anti-piracy bill, but they don't have to worry about anyone being angry about it since no one ever gets prosecuted. This exact same double standard exists in the No Child left Behind law and the MPG regulations on car makers.
  10. R3DP3NGUIN

R3DP3NGUIN TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 154

I wouldn't recommend HideMyAss, they released the details of a lulzsec member to authorities without any hesitation.

I use the Provider Mullvad for my home network (site-to-site VPN) from Australia, also recommend Private Internet Access (Both support BitCoin). I don't torrent through VPNs mind-you (I think its rude for the people just wanting to browse the web )

Seed-boxes are the best way for ones torrenting needs. Plus no one should use Public trackers anyway.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.