TechSpot

Skype beta finally arrives for Windows Phone platform

By Leeky
Feb 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. It has been a very long time coming, but Skype has finally announced via their blog that the popular video chat client is now available as a beta release for…

Read the whole story
  2. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 870   +129

I picked it up last night and it is a VERY welcome download.
    The app does have some major limitations though, and you can tell it's very much a beta.
  3. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +98

I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding it Treeski, as I've not had the opportunity to test it myself yet.
  4. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

I haven't done any video calls in it, as I still have a Focus, so no front facing camera. But I've made regular calls and it works quite well. You can message, group message, and the interface is well designed.

The only problem I see, which I am certain they'll address by the time the public version is released, is the fact that there's no notifications, so there's no way for you to replay to a message, or even answer a call if not in the app.

I don't know how that's going to work, as WP7's current platform doesn't support completely "untombstoned" applications. That's the reason why WP7 does not technically have real multitasking.

I think this, and of course the <b>major</b> benefits of developing with native C++ code, are the main reasons WP Apollo will use Windows 8's kernel and WinRT.

Current Windows CE builds do not support multi-cores, which are necessary to run more intensive, "real" applications that developing natively would inevitably require. The reason why also the new WinRT model makes sense, is because of the high interoperability between WP7 and W8 code, but it will also hopefully allow superior (or real) multitasking, without affecting the great stability that the current platform enjoys. And to be quite honest, there's quite a few things I wouldn't mind missing to just be able to see things like native killer apps, efficient multitasking, and the long overdue third-party notification system, which will hopefully be the key factor for the Skype team to build an app that communicates with the end user without requiring him/her to have the app currently open.

Although WP7 does have notifications, for this kind of app it will require more engineering. It's just not there yet.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.