TechSpot

Skype flaw can reveal users' identity, location, filesharing habits

By Matthew
Oct 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Security researchers have revealed vulnerability that could allow an attacker to identify a person, track their location and monitor their filesharing habits. In a paper titled "I Know Where You…

Read the whole story

2. skype has always had these sorts of issues, hopefully microsoft, or whichever company bought it will fix it.

3. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 812   +93

How about the adware behavior in the last couple months where Skype will open a webpage within your browser with specials every time you reboot?

4. just when you thought it was safe to go back on the net, you find out you have to wear a bigger thicker tin-foil hat

5. IvanAwfulitch

IvanAwfulitch TS Booster Posts: 218   +11

An exploit that allows people like law enforcement and government officials to track you and potentially catch you doing something illegal.

And you honestly believe that a flaw like that is unintentional.

Riiiiight....

6. Gars

Gars TS Booster Posts: 224

about the Skype Home popup
    im using KSH (KillSkypeHome) for a several months
    find it very useful, especially the Nuke function

on the topic,
    the news is very disturbing but not surprising at all

7. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

I feel violated =s

8. Not that surprising, though since Microsoft has bought it I'm sure that will resolve some of these issues. I don't leave Skype running all the time, only when I need to make a call. I don't use Facebook, so no need to worry there.

9. There is a security loop hoe in Skype? Yikes, don't tell everybody. That is like announcing that somebody has a bad habit of keeping their car door unlocked and keys in the ignition in the newspaper. Someone might get a "good" idea.
    Keep it a secret until it is resolved.

10. gLitCh32

gLitCh32 TS Rookie Posts: 16

Announcing it will speed up the process because it puts pressure on them. I think that's a good thing, besides, they told Skype a year ago?? That should be plenty of time!

11. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 812   +93

There ALWAYS seems to be an easily accessible, but little known exploit lately. Probably part of UN Agenda 21.