TechSpot

Skype offers free Wi-Fi in airports, but not for Android

By Rick
Dec 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. In a display of Skype's holiday spirit, the company will be gifting travelers with one hour of free Wi-Fi access at over 50 major airports across the United States. Theā€¦

Read the whole story

2. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

Sounds like a lot of things were excluded, not just android. The headline made it sound like android was targeted.

3. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 892   +133

@KG363: They are leaving out more devices by requiring Skype to be installed. As far as I can tell, Android, Linux and Symbian are the only devices capable of running Skype that are being left out.

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

I only have so many words to work with in the title, people. :)

In terms of market share, it is pretty much Windows, iOS, Android and Mac OS. Anything else is an unfortunate bystander and touches only a very very tiny portion of our readership.

5. Where is the DOJ, the FCC, the SEC this is obviously a monopolistic lack of competition, aggressive intervention by Microsoft to ban Android users from the freedom of the net.

6. hey rick, just for fun, what do you use?

7. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,129

All the airports that i have been to already have free Wi-Fi.

8. Android is a google OS, based on the Linux kernel. Skype is owned by mickeyshaft...

I just can't think why this has happened....... :rolleyes:

9. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,715   +89

Google has free phone numbers to use their Talk and Voice with Video service. So use that on the Android that support those features. That's free for another year. Skype Video Chat is free for now. Mostly everyone is a beta tester until they iron the bugs out they'll start charging to use this service.

10. supportme

supportme TS Rookie Posts: 36

You have made it sound like Android has been targeted by Microsoft in the article too...

11. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

You can draw that conclusion if you want.

I mentioned that Microsoft owned Skype and the context was entirely about advertising/publicity. In the same paragraph, I mentioned that Android users would be left out. The implication was SUPPOSED to be bad advertising/publicity, not that Android is being victimized by Microsoft. We all tend to read things in a manner consistent with our own bias though, so I can understand why you might think that.

I won't say my writing is completely unbiased (totally not true and I am no journalist), but I do make some effort to keep my writing neutral. I fail sometimes, but I do not believe this is not one of those times.

Windows 7 for my primary and work computers, Ubuntu 11.4 server for odds and ends on a small PC (backups, media/file server, voice/services/game hosting, client data recovery and some other things..), I don't own a tablet and my mobile is an iPhone 4S. I also have a PC laptop running both Mac OS 10.5 (shhhh... don't tell anyone) and XP for computer repair purposes... not to mention quite a few other things laying around. I definitely need to hit eBay. :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.