TechSpot

Skype plans to compensate users for outage

By Matthew
Dec 23, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Skype suffered a massive outage yesterday that knocked most users offline. In an update this morning, Skype CEO Tony Bates said service has been fully restored for users in Europe and the Eastern US. Around 16.5 million people were online at the time of the report, which Bates equated to about 80% of the usual headcount for that time of day.

Read the whole story

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,517   +318

wow, the first CEO which actually seemed to give a damn about its users. Or at least, I felt the video seemed genuine...

3. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

He's wearing a hoodie... That's the sort of CEO I like, sod all that suit malarkey! :haha:

4. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 687   +48

bah! I guess i dont get anything free =\ i don't pay but couldn't talk to my gf bc of it, *walks over to oovoo*

5. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

At least they're doing their best to get the service back up in the shortest time possible. Which is of course quite comendable considering that Skype is essentially a free service and I would think only a small fraction of the 25 million or so users are actually paying customers.

6. I am such a newbie! When Skype didn't connect yesterday, I thought it was my computer and uninstalled it. Now am re-installing it today. I have the subscription that allows me to make unlimited landline calls within my country, for $8 per month. Good value!

7. What happened Skype?

8. i uninstalle skype an tried to re-install it but failed. an error message comes up. is this related to the trouble Skype is having ?

9. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Why is there something telling me they did this on purpose just to see how many people actually relied on their service?

I know it sounds a bit excessive, but then again, there's only so much we do know...

10. To bad that don't care about the users that want to call Alaska. That's the only reason we bought two of them...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.