Skyrim patch 1.3 released, PC gamer plays with Kinect

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

On the heels of last week's Skyrim update, Bethesda has fired another volley of bug fixes over Steam today, with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions soon to follow pending approval by Sony and Microsoft. Patch 1.3 brings general stability improvements (no specifics here), optimized performance for Intel's Core 2 Duo processors and resolves the following issues:

• Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
  • Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
  • Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
  • Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
  • Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

Along with announcing today's patch, Bethesda said it plans to release another update next week with support for 4GB Tuning (Large Address Aware) -- though this is already available through modding channels if you're impatient. A resourceful modder released "Skyrim4GB" weeks ago, which lets the game access up to 4GB of memory instead of the current 2GB cap.

Speaking of community content, YouTube user KinectFAAST has uploaded a video of himself playing Bethesda's epic RPG with Microsoft's motion sensor. He uses a combination of physical gestures (with FAAST) and vocal commands (with VAC) to control his character. Different motions with his right arm lets him swing his sword or cast a spell, while his left arm controls his character's shield and point of view.

Other movements let him sheath his weapon, activate objects, move around at various speeds, crouch, jump and so on. Voice controls provide easy access to menus and hotkeys. Saying "hello" initiates a conversation with an NPC, "journal" or "skills" opens their associated windows, "left hand" or "right hand" shifts items to a particular side," and "switch view" toggles between first and third-person perspectives.

Although it's obviously not as fluid or precise as playing with a keyboard and mouse or a gamepad, it seems like the setup could provide plenty of entertainment. From our understanding, you'll have to download the software linked above and configure everything yourself if you want to give it a shot. It's an inconvenience, but KinectFAAST provides a detailed list of his software configuration to get you started.

Permalink to story.

Oh that is so effing coooool!

My future kids will probably take such a way to play a game for granted, but enjoying the progression of this technology will be fun.

I wonder if my future kids will be able to play Skyrim bug-free? I don't count on it in my lifetime.

Guest said:
I wonder if my future kids will be able to play Skyrim bug-free? I don't count on it in my lifetime.

Amen to that! I have 2 characters with over 30+ hours. Both saves are glitched one with the final quest for companions and the other has an issues with a thieves guild quest...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

Maybe I'm just getting old but the the motion detection in a game like this this just seems lame.

Umm, no...are you kidding me? I wouldn't want to be telling my character exactly what to do. Nor would I want to hear somebody else to stop yelling at the computer.

"POINTLESS"
"GIMMICK"
"SILLY"
"EASIER WITH TRADITIONAL CONTROLS"

Oh, don't have to say those commands, does it already.

Its a 32-bit game, its never going to use more than 4GB. You can thank the popularity of console gaming for that.

id never make a single player none console port there are far to many pirates on computer

I've heard the PS3 has some bugs/issues so severe they may not be completely fixable. I'm playing the PC version and have had a couple issues, but thankfully no game breakers. Currently have 40 hrs in and the last quest I completed was staff of magnus.

Guest said:
Its a 32-bit game, its never going to use more than 4GB. You can thank the popularity of console gaming for that.

But if the game is 4GB aware that wouldn't make a difference?

I didn't have any update but after this I had an important improvent in performance.

Just so everyone knows the Kinect mod that does this DOES NOT WORK ON THE NEWEST SKYRIM 1.3.1 update!!

Don't let the title fool you!

As for the 4gb aware comment I have some clarification for you.

Normally a 32 bit game can only see 4 gb, that is including however much ram windows is taking. So say its taking 1gb to run windows, then the game now only have 3gbs to choose from. (and sometimes windows requests it reserves some more like 1.5 or so, which would only leave you with 2.5gb)

Anyway with this update say you have 6gbs of mem this will allow the game to take its full 4gbs and then use less for windows plus using the rest of the memory for that.

Back