Sleep mode doesn't work

By dbonniwell
May 23, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,
    I have Vista Ultimate for the OS on my system.
    I like to use sleep mode to save on electricty.
    Up until recently it has been working just fine. Not sure if I did anything but I was playing around with Acronis.
    Now when I use it, the computer does not shut down all the way but the monitor does. I can hear the fans in the case turning, They should go off from past experience.
    When in sleep mode all you have to do is hit a key on the keyboard or mouse or even ON switch and it comes to life from where I left off. I checked the settings in the control panel under power settings and they seem fine.
    Is there any thing I can check?
    Thanks
  2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,336   +49

Acronis takes anything around 20 minutes upwards to perform a full drive image, and it might change the sleep mode to avoid nodding off half-way through. I have never been aware of such a thing, but I suppose it is possible.

This link http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html is a pretty comprehensive guide to sleep settings in Vista, and it seems that problems do, indeed, simply appear from time to time.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,351   +301

I have experienced cases where the settings were visably correct but Sleep or Hibernate did not take effect. try this:
    • change the setting to anything else
    • close the window
    • reopen the control and change it back to what you want
    • close the window again
    test with start->Turn Off ->Sleep (or hold SHIFT to access Hibernate)
  4. ultragrey

ultragrey Newcomer, in training Posts: 69

Have you checked the power setting? That may cause the abnormality.
    [​IMG]
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.