TechSpot

Sleep mode doesn't work

By dbonniwell
May 23, 2010
  1. Hello,
    I have Vista Ultimate for the OS on my system.
    I like to use sleep mode to save on electricty.
    Up until recently it has been working just fine. Not sure if I did anything but I was playing around with Acronis.
    Now when I use it, the computer does not shut down all the way but the monitor does. I can hear the fans in the case turning, They should go off from past experience.
    When in sleep mode all you have to do is hit a key on the keyboard or mouse or even ON switch and it comes to life from where I left off. I checked the settings in the control panel under power settings and they seem fine.
    Is there any thing I can check?
    Thanks

2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,423   +77

Acronis takes anything around 20 minutes upwards to perform a full drive image, and it might change the sleep mode to avoid nodding off half-way through. I have never been aware of such a thing, but I suppose it is possible.

This link http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html is a pretty comprehensive guide to sleep settings in Vista, and it seems that problems do, indeed, simply appear from time to time.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,091   +592

I have experienced cases where the settings were visably correct but Sleep or Hibernate did not take effect. try this:
    • change the setting to anything else
    • close the window
    • reopen the control and change it back to what you want
    • close the window again
    test with start->Turn Off ->Sleep (or hold SHIFT to access Hibernate)

4. ultragrey

ultragrey TS Rookie Posts: 61

Have you checked the power setting? That may cause the abnormality.
    [​IMG]

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.