Sleep mode issues - Windows 7 x64

louismont

HP Envy17
Windows 7 x 64

Many times when trying to put the computer to sleep, it either does not sleep or it will sleep but when I re-open the lid all lights and power comes on but the screen does not. This forces me to shut down the machine by removing the battery, thereby losing my work.

Any help is appreciated!

The video drivers seem to be up to date. I have all the latest HP drivers relating to power, etc.

Sometimes sleep mode works and sometimes not. There doesn;t seem to be any pattern that I can identify.

Can you perform a factory restore? Sleep mode problems deal with hard drive or video issues. Have you done a disk check yet? Go to start, computer, and right-click on the C drive. Select properties, tools, check now. Select both boxes and schedule a disk check on next start up...

followup

A restore is extreme and I'd like not to have to do that if at all possible.
I have now done the disk check and it did make a few corrections.
On my 1st attempt, sleep mode worked. But, I know from experience that it may not be the end of the story.
So... I will let you know after a few more tries.

Thanks again!

PS - my machine, which I left on overnight after the wifi driver update has not given me a blue screen yet. Fingers crossed!!

Sleep Mode problem continues

Well.. I tried sleep mode again and the screen went dark but everything else stayed on.

My hard drive supposedly has something to protect it in case of a hard shock.

Could that be affecting sleep mode and if so... how can I get rid of that software?

"how can I get rid of that software?"

It is in "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel. You can uninstall it from there

followup

Do you think that might be it? I hate to uninstall the software if it is unrelated to the problem.

Back