SLI / Crossfire bridge questions

By ViPeRMiMiS
Sep 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey all, I am Mimis from Greece and this is my first post. I'd like to learn about SLi/CrossFire bridges.

1)SLi/CF bridge increase performance a bit or much?

2) If I buy for example a Gigabyte or MSi motherboard with P67/Z68 chipset that supports SLi/CF then how I'd get the SLi bridge (Which is found only on nForce chipsets) and how to get the crossfire bridge? (which is found on ??? chipsets )
  2. SKYSTAR

SKYSTAR TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 250

1) the increment in performance (SLi/CF) depends on the graphics card generation for example :
    when you put nvidia two nvidia gtx 570 in sli you get about 90% performance increment.
    but when you put nvidia two nvidia 8600 gt in sli you get only 40% performance increment.
    and the same thing with ati CF.
    2)the Sli or CF bridge comes with the graphics card not with the motherboard .
  3. ViPeRMiMiS

ViPeRMiMiS TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 106

Thank you very much, so WHATEVER GPU I buy such as MSI GTX 560 Ti, Zotac GTX 560 Ti Galaxy HD 6950,Saphire 6970, whatever brand, whatever GPU there will always be a CF/SLi bridge on the package? Thanks
  4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +64

1)Crossfire/SLI bridges come as part of many multi PCIE Motherboards as well.
    For example:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735

2) If you actually meant the question as you stated it, Crossfire/SLI bridges themselves do not add any performance. They are required to run SLI/CF and are used to load balance the cards during tandem operation.
  5. ViPeRMiMiS

If I DON'T use Bridges there is NO WAY to crossfire/sli ?? Thank you very much
  6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +64

For the generation of GPU's you are speaking of , yes a crossfire bridge is required.
  7. ViPeRMiMiS

aaaahh too bad, I imagine I buying a motherboard with 2 pci-e 2.0 x16 buying the Video Cards installing them and..... no bridges on the boxes (let's say) where should I look? (Except ebay , I don't have a credit card)
    Thanks

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.