SLI Nvidia help

Status
Not open for further replies.

monk89

Ok i have a novatech's own (i assume overclocked) nvidea 9500 with 1gb memory,
but it has a huge heatsink that kinda takes up the space for the second card on my motherboard
now novatech make the exact same card i have installed with out the heatsink
,it has a fan /heat sink combo,
that would allow me to fit a second now the price is only 44 uk pounds for the single card so i am willing to pay for 2 but i wouldnt know how to install a new card from scratch so was wondering as its the same brand /make/memory as i have installed and working just with out the heatsink

would i be able to just unplug and replace it with the new cooled unit or is that a stupid question???

ive been looking and this is the only pic i can find of my card not same manufacturer but same heatsink and size

web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&pid=4435

and this is the one i would like to just be able to replace with no install if posible as i said may be a stupid question but it is the same in every way clock speed ect

novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Graphics-Nvidia/Nvidia9500Series/Novatech/9500GT1GB.html

i cant post links for one more post lol so add ww w . to the front

another thought if i were to move my current g card down a slot i would be able to fit the new smaller one on top so if i did that would i need to install or as its the same card could i just unplug and fit to the other slot
and then add the second later

9500 1gb is an ill performer, its probably much easier getting a good graphics card.

another thought if i were to move my current g card down a slot i would be able to fit the new smaller one on top so if i did that would i need to install or as its the same card could i just unplug and fit to the other slot
But yes, if you have the slots, you can re-arange them to your liking. You will need an SLI cable.

i can rearrange with no need for reinstall ?
Well you do have to reinstall the card if thats what you mean, to use it anyway. There isn't anything you would have to do software wise except enable SLI and stuff, that should be easy and I think it is automatic too.

ok thanks for your help in your opinion what out there would be better in sli than the with 95001gb that would be better

Hi Monk,
im not sure i understand your question, but i will try. if you want to run SLI you can move the cards around so they fit. as long as they are the same model (cooling solutions don't matter) you can run them in sli. if you were asking if you can remove the gigantic passive heatsink on the one card and replace it with a active heatsink fan combo, the answer is yes, they are removable/replaceable.

ok thanks for your help in your opinion what out there would be better in sli than the with 95001gb that would be better
almosy anything LOL just kidding.
a pair of 8800 gt's would be a rather powerful set

yeah i want to add a second 9500 as i cant quite peak some of my games ie oblivion and fall out 3 and cod 4

how hard would it be to replace the cooling on the current card then red , is it all basic click connection or is there major wireing involved first time ive had my machine open rly all ive done is add ram ive read up on attatching a second card and that using sli it doesnt need major installing just turning on so to speak

not hard at all, unplug the fan connector. on the top of the card (the side without the heatsink) there are 4 screws. remove them and the heatsink comes off ( make sure you gradually twist the assembly back and forth to break the thermal compound loose) do not pull straight up! clean up the old thermal compound completely, apply new compound and set the HS/F assembly down. put the screws back in and plug the fans electrical connector back in.

as i said no experiance at all in side my machine i understood all but the thermal compound some kind of glue ?

would dual cards improve my graphics or not for 40 quid i want to if its gonna allow me to max the games i have including the new wolf in 2 days :)

thermal compound is a conductive paste that goes between the Heatsink and the Graphis processing chip it is cooling. it makes sure that the heat sink makes good contact with the GPU and fills any scratches or irregularities on either surface.

it would, but IMO it would make more sense to just get 1 8800 gt or 1 9800 gt.That would out perform your dual 9500 gt's . what resolution are you gaming at?

so u think getting a single 9800 would improve my gaming more than installing another 9500 or i should get a 9800 and add to the 9500 as its a sli compatable ive read it should be ok

the latter would mean id be asking for your help when i replace the cooling on the current or move it to the lower g slot

a 9800 gt would get you 'everything on max' at that res yes. and thats okay, glad to help :)

1 9800 gt is better than 2 9500 gts in sli yes heck you can get a 9600 gt for around $80 on newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back