Inactive Slow boot, slow response, slow program load, slow shutdown, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astronerd

This system is slow to react to any input. Much of the time, the system is at 100% CPU. The task manager process list contains some suspected infections. What is my system infected with?
Also, the DDS script will not run. I have turned off all Norton virus protections. I didn't see where Norton might be controlling scripts.

The other logs are included.

Attachments

• mbam-log-2010-10-05 (20-56-25).txt
    905 bytes · Views: 1
  • GMER2.log
    5.9 KB · Views: 1
Please turn Norton back on. It does not need to be disable for these scans. But I have nothing to work with here- what happens when you try to run DDS?

Run this online AV scan to take a look:

Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus scan HEREhttp://www.eset.eu/online-scanner
  1. Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  2. Click Start
  3. When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  4. Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  5. Click Start
  6. Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  7. Click Scan
  8. Wait for the scan to finish
  9. Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  10. A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.

Bobbye, ESET found nothing, created no log file.
DDS opens in a notepad window and looks like compiled code (random characters). I would include what the DDS window contains except for the size of the file

Download the HijackThis Installer and save to the desktop:
  1. Double-click on HJTInstall.exe to run the program.
  2. By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
  3. Accept the license agreement by clicking the "I Accept" button.
  4. Click on the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
  5. Click "Save log" to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
  6. Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  7. Come back here to this thread and paste (Ctrl+V) the log in your next reply.

NOTE: Do NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet! Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

This will give me an idea of what's starting up and running. Slow loads and slow shutdown are directly proportional to the number of processes than have to load, then shut down.
=============================================
Checking the Task Manager will give you some idea of what processes are using the most CPU. One good way to check that is to prepare the system for shutdown, but don't shut down yet. Instead, open the Task Manager> Processes tab> double click on the top frame of this column to sort.

The only processes that should show in the CPU column are System, System Idle and taskmgr These 3 should add up to 100% ( exception could be process using 1-2 in CPU but nothing significant. Any other processes running are the ones you need to identify> possibly remove from Startup.
=============================================
I am concerned though: Eset does produce a log when nothing is found. Sometimes, users register the program but don't actually do a scan. Unless I see 'something', I can't be sure the scan ran. As for DDS, I don't know why there is a problem and this is for concern also.
============================================
Are you running a CD Emulator like Daemon Tools? That can affect scans:

To disable CD Emulation programs using DeFogger please perform these steps:
  1. . Please download DeFogger to your desktop.
    Link: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/jpshortstuff/Defogger.exe
  2. . Once downloaded, double-click on the DeFogger icon to start the tool.
  3. . The application window will now appear. You should now click on the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers
  4. . When it prompts you whether or not you want to continue, please click on the Yes button to continue
  5. . When the program has completed you will see a Finished! message. Click on the OK button to exit the program.
  6. . If CD Emulation programs are present and have been disabled,

DeFogger will now ask you to reboot the machine. Please allow it to do so by clicking on the OK button.
=======================================
When our scan are finished, you can enable again as follows:
To enable CD Emulation programs using DeFogger please perform these steps:
  1. . Please download DeFogger to your desktop.
  2. . Once downloaded, double-click on the DeFogger icon to start the tool.
  3. . The application window will now appear. You should now click on the Enable button to enable your CD Emulation drivers
  4. . When it prompts you whether or not you want to continue, please click on the Yes button to continue
  5. . When the program has completed you will see a Finished! message. Click on the OK button to exit the program.
  6. . If CD Emulation programs are present and have been enabled,

DeFogger will now ask you to reboot the machine. Please allow it to do so
by clicking on the OK button.
===============================
Untill I get something showing what is running, I can't make any judgements or analysis of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back