slow frame rates in Quake 4

By winnie
Dec 14, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I would be very grateful if anyone can give me a clue as to why I'm only getting around 16 to 20 frames per second in quake 4?

I have a dell dimension 9150 with a 2.8ghz duel core processor, 1gb ram, 250gb hdd and a 256mb ATI Radeon x600.

I'm running quake 4 on a resolution of 640/800 in medium quality.

thanks. :confused:
  2. Federelli

Federelli Newcomer, in training Posts: 382

Make sure you've got Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering disabled.
    Then make sure you've got Catalyst 5.12 drivers.
    Finally, download the 1.0.5 Beta Patch, it will improve performance because you've got a dual core processor --> http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/quake4/quake4_1_0_5_beta_patch.exe.html

Type r_smp 1 in Quake 4's console, so that you get the performance increase :).
  3. mastronaut

mastronaut TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 185

Slow Frames

I would do a disk clean up and a defrag first. Then go to Tweakguides.com
    They have a guide for Q4 that can help you, they also have a guide on ATI
    cards! Lots of excellent advice. Good Luck!
  4. winnie

winnie Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the advice guys, i've now managed to up my frame rate to over 30 which is acceptable, if anyone else has any other tips I would very interested!
  5. Federelli

Federelli Newcomer, in training Posts: 382

That's as much performance as you can gain with your PC, unless you've got Antialiasing or Anisotropic Filtering enabled, which you should disable for extra performance.
  6. dady393

dady393 Newcomer, in training Posts: 21

answer:shake the monitor!

Shake the monitor, it will increase fps with about 10-15, after this try and kick the monitor, this adds about an increase of 30-70 fps. If your still not getting enough, throw the monitor through the window!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.