TechSpot

Slow hard disk transfer rate between partitions

By z0k!
May 20, 2008
  1. hi
    i have a query.isnt the transfer rate between partitions within a hard drive supposed to be faster than its external transfer rate via the interface?
    i have a seagate st3160215as with 2mb cache.it says on the website that it has a maximum sustainable transfer rate of 78MB/sec,whereas when i moved media files from my drive d: to drive c: the avg came out to be about 10MB/sec (i divided the file size with the time in secs to calculate that).
    is this normal?
    also what is the usual tranfer rate when coying off a dvd to hard disk?

thanks

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

There are several things that can affect transfer rates... things like system CPU, memory and motherboard, and running programs

3. z0k!

z0k! TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 61

i have a pretty recent system configuration

intel core 2 duo e6550
    xfx nforce 630i/geforce 7100 mobo
    2x1gb corsair xms2/dhx

i wasnt running any programs when i was doing the transfers (only basic antivirus/firewall and messenger were running in the background)

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

What is your "basic" antivirus? If a scanner is running while you are transferring data, transfer rates will plunge into the toilet. You do have a pretty decent system. I can transfer a DVD (4.7GB) to hard drive (DVD ROM to hard drive image) in about 12 minutes, but you are talking about transferring between partitions on a single hard drive

5. z0k!

z0k! TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 61

My av cum firewall is eset smart security.i wasnt scanning anything it was just running in the background on standby,you know like any security software you install on your pc.

yes i m talking about transfers b/w partitions but i was just checking if the dvd transfer was normal or not,12 mins seems a lot of time,its the same case here as well,despite those ultra dma 33 MB/sec labels..plus its also stated on the box that 16x speed translates into 21.6MB/sec. taking 12 mins doesnt even come close to that rate.

well what about the hard disk,i think thats abnormal..how do i get it work faster?its painstakingly slow when you move around huge data b/w partitions

btw all my system components are new except for the dvd combo which is about a couple of yrs old

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.