Slow hard disk transfer rate between partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0k!

hi
i have a query.isnt the transfer rate between partitions within a hard drive supposed to be faster than its external transfer rate via the interface?
i have a seagate st3160215as with 2mb cache.it says on the website that it has a maximum sustainable transfer rate of 78MB/sec,whereas when i moved media files from my drive d: to drive c: the avg came out to be about 10MB/sec (i divided the file size with the time in secs to calculate that).
is this normal?
also what is the usual tranfer rate when coying off a dvd to hard disk?

thanks

There are several things that can affect transfer rates... things like system CPU, memory and motherboard, and running programs

i have a pretty recent system configuration

intel core 2 duo e6550
xfx nforce 630i/geforce 7100 mobo
2x1gb corsair xms2/dhx

i wasnt running any programs when i was doing the transfers (only basic antivirus/firewall and messenger were running in the background)

What is your "basic" antivirus? If a scanner is running while you are transferring data, transfer rates will plunge into the toilet. You do have a pretty decent system. I can transfer a DVD (4.7GB) to hard drive (DVD ROM to hard drive image) in about 12 minutes, but you are talking about transferring between partitions on a single hard drive

My av cum firewall is eset smart security.i wasnt scanning anything it was just running in the background on standby,you know like any security software you install on your pc.

yes i m talking about transfers b/w partitions but i was just checking if the dvd transfer was normal or not,12 mins seems a lot of time,its the same case here as well,despite those ultra dma 33 MB/sec labels..plus its also stated on the box that 16x speed translates into 21.6MB/sec. taking 12 mins doesnt even come close to that rate.

well what about the hard disk,i think thats abnormal..how do i get it work faster?its painstakingly slow when you move around huge data b/w partitions

btw all my system components are new except for the dvd combo which is about a couple of yrs old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back