Slow logoff and shutdown

By bobl61
Nov 12, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm having an issue (slow logoff and shutdown) in WinXP.
    I've attached log. Any help appreciated.
  2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

A slow logoff and shutdown could mean applications are hanging- that is, not shutting down properly. It can also mean the there are too many programs starting at boot and running in the background. Each of these has to close when you shutdown

It is better to follow the order of the malware cleaning, running Malwarebytes first, then Superantispyware, followed by Hijackthis, then attaching all 3 logs. But we will try this. If problems persist, you will need to follow: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html
    You are running two antivirus programs. Decide which you want to keep, then remove the other one:
    Ontrack:
    Vipre:
    Update Java:
    Reset Cookies:
    Please re-open HiJackThis and scan.*Check* the boxes next to all the entries listed below.
    NOTE: AdvPack is the Advanced INF Package Installer. This dll assists with hardware and software installs by providing advanced setup functionality on top of setupapi.dll. The files below are 'left over' from the run of nLite. Advise remove all:
    Only delete these entries if they don`t belong to your ISP
    Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Close HiJackThis and reboot into Safe Mode:
    Start> Run> type 'msconfig' without quotes> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK
    Processes belonging to either Ontrack OR Vipre, whichever you are NOT going to keep
    Control PAnel> Add/Remove Programs> Uninstall the following if present:
    IF you are not going to keep Vipre:
    Start> Run> services.msc> right click on Sunbelt VIPRE Antivirus Service> Properties> Change Startup Type to Disabled.

Reboot into Normal Mode. You will get a nag message you can ignore after checking 'don't show this message again'. Stay in Selective Startup.

Please advise of system status.
  3. bobl61

bobl61 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 25

Thanks for the detailed information. Will execute and post back :approve:
  4. bobl61

bobl61 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 25

WOO-HOO :D Problem solved. I think SBAMSvc.exe was the major culprit, but I followed Your advice entirely and shutdown has to be a hundred times faster. Thanks again for Your efforts :wave:
  5. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

You're welcome! Love to start the day with a WOO-HOO! Vipre is a known high resource user. Be sure and follow through with the other suggestions.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.