Slow responding computer

Hey everyone.

I have a custom built pc that I had built 5 years ago. A few months ago, I upgraded my OS from XP to Windows 7. Everything seemed normal. A few days ago, I was using my computer when I started to notice some serious lag. Every program I had running was "Not Responding." I tried to open Task Manager, but at this point, my computer crashed.

Upon restart, my computer took about 5 minutes to start, which was very slow compared to normal. When my desktop finally loaded, it was the same story all over again. When I started a program, it would soon be "Not Responding."

So finally, I decided to format the harddrive, wipe the slate clean, and install Windows 7 from scratch. The installation process went smoothly and quickly. However, when I began using Windows again after the install, the same problems keep coming back. My computer is extremely slow and unresponsive.

Any suggestions?

I suppose I should also add that sometimes my computer runs beautifully, and then all of a sudden everything freezes.. as if the processor isn't doing anything...

Did you check your motherboard's manufacturer's site for any BIOS update before the upgrade? Just concern a bit how the power on the motherboard is managed with win7 and ACPI.

All we know is, you built a system from some unknown components, installed a falvor of XP then after 5 years installed a flavor of Windows 7, with the given information, I have to say, hardware compatibility!

Thanks for the reply.

I know that I am using an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard.
Not sure what processor, though I can find out if needed.

Actually, that would be very helpful. Did you check the compatibility with win7 before you upgraded? Now I'm not saying that it won't work, since I had Win7 running like a champ on an old IBM T42, but you should give a thought to the hardware you have and its readiness for new software. Try turning off Aero and see how that goes.

More information about the hardware you are trying to run this on would go a long way in figuring out where the failure is.

What is the brand and model of your hard drive... if a Hitachi, Maxtor, Samsung, Western Digital Green, or a large Seagate, you might want to try a replaement drive as that one is possibly going bad.

Thanks for the reply.

I know that I am using an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard.
Not sure what processor, though I can find out if needed.

Please download CPUZ, don't get the install version just the executable will do, run and go to the last tab, save the dump as a text file and attach it to your next post.

Drives and memory could be affected depending on how your board is fed with that model, CPUZ dump will help scratch out a few possibilities.

Let us know

The board is a good one, and known for reliability... and long life.

Suspect you need a complete remove of partitiion, reformat and reinstall.

If the drive is an old one it may be giving up - deteriorating spindle speeds will cause exactly this sort of symptom. You could try downloading and running the drive maker's diagnostics - make sure you have a backup first.

M2N is a very good board indeed, built many Gamers system with it and did many more trouble shooting on it. It is a good board with the right processor including stepping, proper memory timing and voltage as well as proper voltage to the bridges.

The CPUZ would give the above information before looking at the power supply, the vid card etc, sure the RAM might go bad in a system and a replacement would bring life to the system only to choke it again, a more delicate component such as hard drive could get hurt and a new one work for another few years.

But if all conditions are ideal, the whole system could run for ever; the Memory Controller on these boards with all sockets filled with high performance high voltage DDRII, craps out after some time to the point it will only run with 2 or 3 sockets filled with the same type of RAM or all the sockets with lower speed and voltage modules, The motherboard power management with ACPI with over or under voltage to the +5.0V stand by when the circuit is close while a differing +5.0V main usable voltage is open or the other way around under operation, could show many different symptoms and even cause some failures and that's only one rail.

Drives just don't go bad on themselves without people moving the system or not fastening them properly or at the time of sale the sales person "slammed" it on the counter, the UPS guys threw the box ... and there are bad drives right off the assembly lines for sure, I myself haven't experienced many bad drives except in notebooks.

How can I say it is the drive which might be loud and obvious, without knowing the rest of the components and their states? And ignore the fact that ACPI in 7 is different than XP ... mainly the power part that electronic devices could starve or die without clean and continuous proper dosage of?

I don't think that board is older than 4 years ... hmmm

Did you try yelling at it?

Go to task manager, performance tab, click the resource button. If you are encountering a similar problem I had with windows 7, windows media player will be hogging all your resources.

Of course update and or reinstall drivers.

Update windows

Update your video card

Back