Slow unstable computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshfresh

After reading lots of google searches i have yet to find the answers i seek: So after reading a couple of post i thought it best to post my problem and get the help of the world:)... :dead:

HERE ARE MY SPECS:

CPU: AMD ATHLON 6400 WINDSOR

M/B: K9A2 PLATINUM

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 X 2GB) 240-PIN DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC26400)

VIDEO CARD: MSI GEFORCE 8600 GTS DDR3 512MB

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI READY CROSSFIRE READY 80 PLUS CERTIFIED ACTIVE PFC POWER SUPPLY

CASE: RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB530P BLACK 1.0MM SECC STEEL ATX MID TOWER FOLDOUT MB

PROBLEMS I AM HAVING

1. I DONT KNOW THE RIGHT SETTING FOR MY MOTHER BOARDS CMOS
2. RAM SETTING I USED THE 2.1 V
3. I TRIED THE BLACK VIPER TWEAK IN VISTA 64 ULTIMATE.
4. MY SYSTEM IS REAL SLOW TO BOOT IT LOOK LIKE IT BOOTS TWICE CAUSE THE MSI LOGO SHOWS TWICE..
5.AND I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO:rolleyes:

WHAT I ASK IS FOR ANYONE HOW CAN GUIDE ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTIONS CAUSE I LOVE MESSING WITH THE COMPUTER:grinthumb

You can start by not CAPITALIZING your words, or using excessive bold, or BOTH (Basically it's a sign of rudeness to post like this, as you are Shouting out the words)

Anyway

Reset CMOS (CMOS must be capitalized, sorry)
And re-install Vista

Backup first :)

Too many options

Best to re-install Windows clean (on a default CMOS)
To eliminate Software, first

ok. will do .. is this a ok build??? and do you have any recommendations... i saw this computer at fry with almost the same build and it ran so fast... i was like i am a dumb bob. i get it done though with the help you offer. a

It looks fast
I have no idea on all the compatibilities of all the hardware (and don't want to know either)

A clean install should show how fast it really is
Obviously all drivers installed
Ideally all Service Packs and Windows security updates completed
Then reply back

well i wonder do you have some advice on tweaks like adding to drives 250's in a raid to back up my stuff, i set it up OS on a 320 hd and partioned it to 30.. what happen to all the other space?

Huh? You went from basic to advanced in one step

Are you saying that you now have Raid (which Raid config exactly?)
Or that you want Raid?
And the lost space, is that in Raid or normal? (actually please re-read your last sentence, because it is a bit confusing)

But whilst this is all fresh, let me start by saying, don't use Raid for backing up :)

ok i have my OS on a 320 hd on a partion of 30 (no raid), i was wondering would i be able to use the rest of my harddrive? then i have Two 250 that i i ask would it be a good idea to put in raid-1 for data protection? I not advance at all i did alot of reading to try to get and idea of all this:) and got a small idea but i am hungry to learn.. Also i think my system is stable. I

I apologize for not getting to you sooner, I was working on another thread

ok i have my OS on a 320 hd on a partion of 30

So you have Partitioned your OS to 30 Gig ? (Oh no I'm still not following you)

Maybe I'll just say my thoughts again

Don't use Raid

Now next :)

If you do want to use some type of backup option, you are best to use a seconday mounted HardDrive, that way, you can place the Pagefile on the 2nd HardDrive (not Partition, or Raid) and also all your data as well.

Making it lots faster :)

now when i installed my system i had a drive that was 320gig i partioned it to 30gigs, and installed My Os on it.

I will not us raid.How do i set up a harddrive so that i can place the pagefile on it? :)

Ok that's clearer

Firstly

You have 1 Hard Drive 320 Gig
30 Gig Partitioned for Windows OS (Hopefully NTFS, and I suspect 32Bit)
Approx ~ 190 Gig or less (due to loss from partition and cluster size) that may not be Partitioned as yet??

Yes Partition the rest of the Drive for NTFS as well, what ever the remaining size is
You can even do that in Windows, or use your Windows CD, or better yet use Gparted live Boot CD

Now that will give you C drive (Your Windows drive) then D (or E) Drive as say Programs or Game installs.

Then, get the other HardDrive (I think you have two) and mount that as a secondary drive (Partitioned and formatted to NTFS as well)
This drive can have all your Data (all of it; ie Movies; Documents; Pics, ...) and can also contain your PageFile (sometimes called Swapfile)

So

"How do you set up the Pagefile".

Read here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307886/
(Note: I started writing, then thought, nah I'll just link to it :) )

Edit:

Oh the pagefile must be on another Drive, not on another Partition

thank a lot you have been real nice, helpful and clear:) hey the OS that I am running is 64 bit i did not partion the rest of the 320 gig harddrive i will do that thank i tell ya how i make out.

shes up and running... 48sec boot up to log on... i did everthing like you said... i just downloaded sp1 for vista 64 and ran it from my usb drive... its stable. i enabled the computer to boot from two harddrives and for the most partits very responsive.. i let you know how everything running... I have a question.. i have all my programs on a old hard drive and i want to migrate them to this new computer.. migration wizard does not work nor does pc mover...

I've used PC Mover before too

But I have since realized that you are best to use the original install CD, or just download the newest version of the program from the web

No other better way than that

Also thanks for the update :grinthumb

have a question i rebuilding my other computer it was on raid one reformatted everything and started fresh like the other... My problem is are there any special drivers for the the phenom tri core? abit board an78gs

i got the new abit drivers in and running i noticed that it said co proccessor missing driver?I will check again to night.. Just tired right now work then computers!

I just bought four fujitsu limited sas 73 gb 10k harddrives, i ask what type of raid controler for your money. and what would you recommend kimsland.:D This is going on my MSI motherboard that we built.

sound about right.. i was thinking of using the HighPoint RocketRAID2640X4. but i think i can use the 2two promise controlers and 2 esata.. just dont know how i would do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back