TechSpot

Small Wireless Hub?

By Dhakos
Jan 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey, my home has 3 desktops, so we've never had wireless, just ethernet cables running to the computers needed. Now however, I'm going to be using a laptop also. I have a little 15 quid wired hub, plug and play, internet goes in, internet goes out, simple :)
    But does the same exist for a wireless option? a little mini wireless hub I can plug into to just give me a small range wireless?

Essentially what I'm asking is: is there such a thing as a small cheap wireless hub and I can run an ethernet cable into and be able to connect to with my laptop? Examples of cheap but reliable products would be great :)

Due to my lack of knowledge of wireless I dont know how connecting works, or encryption or anything, it's something I'll look up when the time comes :)

Thanks for any help

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,317   +618

yes, wired in; wifi out == router with WiFi feature :)

3. Dhakos

Dhakos TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 79

I was thinking more of a hub than a router? being that I already have a router, and I thought the additional functions of a router over a hub would make it more costly?

4. jobeard

Common routers go for $49-$89.

The expense is the WiFi and "a hub" never has that feature.

5. Dhakos

Dhakos TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 79

Ah... seems like wireless router it is then... ok thanks guys :)

6. jobeard

HUH? Sorry, I don't understand what you are attempting to say...