Smartphone-hating engineer creates mobile device with rotary dialer

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Not everyone is a lover of modern smartphones, longing instead for the days when phones came with rotary dials. A space engineer who hates today’s gadgets has taken a stand against texting by building a handset that combines old with new.

Justine Haupt, an astronomy instrumentation engineer at Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York, has spent three years creating a working cell phone that uses a rotary dial. She was inspired to create the device because of her dislike of smartphones and texting.

“I work in technology but I don’t like the culture around smartphones,” she said. “I don’t like the hyper-connected thing. I don’t like the idea of being at someone’s beck and call every moment, and I don’t need to have that level of access to the internet. Whenever I want to look something up, I’m more than happy to do so when I am at my computer. I’ve never texted, and building this phone was in part so that I would have a good excuse for not texting. Now I can hold up this phone and say, 'No, I can’t text.'”

Haupt started by securing a rotary dial from an old Trimline telephone, making sure it was small enough to fit on a pocket-sized phone. She then bought a cell phone radio development board from hardware company Adafruit to create a proof-of-concept.

The next step was to slim everything down and encase it in a 3D-printed case that included quick-dial buttons for calling her husband, David Van Popering, and her mother, Lorraine.

“If I want to call my husband, I can call him by pushing a single button,” says Haupt. “I can call people more quickly on this phone than on my old phone. In rare cases when I want to call a new number, I do use the rotary dial and it is a fun, tactile experience.”

The phone works with an AT&T prepaid SIM card, but that’s not its only piece of modern technology. Haupt added an e-paper display so she can see messages and missed calls.

“It’s actual e-paper, the same material that you find on Kindles. Those kinds of displays are cool and are under-utilised in technology.”

Measuring 4 inches in height, 3 inches wide, and 1 inch thick, the phone’s battery will last between 24 and 30 hours. It’s proved so popular that Haupt is selling a $170 kit for people to build one themselves, though they’ll have to source their own rotary dial. The creator did add that she’s looking at making a more inclusive kit that will come with all the parts.

This won’t be the first 'mobile' phone with a rotary dial. Some of the earliest models, such as the Canyon MK900 IMTS (below) and those in vehicles, used the dials. We’ve come a long way.

Permalink to story.

Non-removable battery.
No USB-3 port.
No wireless charging.
No NFC payments.
No Bluetooth or aptX-HD
No 3.5mm headphones jack.

I'll take it. How much??

Why not regular dialer buttons? Those rotary dials suck balls, I grew up with them and would never go back.

There are loads of flip phones on the market already that do this.

This is stupid.

Why not regular dialer buttons? Those rotary dials suck balls, I grew up with them and would never go back.

There are loads of flip phones on the market already that do this.

This is stupid.
You're going to have to wait for the 2nd iteration, sort of like a 2.0 for this phone to have the digital tones.

I do agree about the finickiness of modern phone UI's. They ran out of useful things to add about 10 years ago and have just been adding more and more 'features' ever since. Even something seemingly simple like notifications on Android and IOS phones is now a spiders-web of nonsense.

Back