Smoking increases heart risk more in women than men

Archean

Women who start smoking increase their risk of a heart attack by more than men who take up the habit, according to a review of more than 30 years of research. A study of 2.4 million people, published in the Lancet, showed a 25% difference in increased risk.

_54522338_m3700406-heart-shaped_ash_tray,_cigarettes,_lung_x-ray.jpg

Heart attack risk increase by factor of 1.8 for men and 2.3 for women, I always thought women are less susceptible because apparently they smoke less cigarets. :confused:

Maybe it has something to do with their circulatory system and the structure of different organs affected by Carbon monoxide and other gases released while smoking. Women tend to "absorb" more toxics than men from cigars. This might be a really silly suggestion, but maybe they have different structured alveoli and bronchioles and the cappilaries surrounded by them, but that could only have something to do with diseases of the respiratory system. This suggestion however, sounds crappy.
Hopefully they will find something more.

On average, women live 5 years more than men in the UK. Apparently, this is mostly down to how a woman's immune system is set up (to cope with child birth for the most part)

So this smoking fact is interesting....and good considering i'm a bloke :D.

I don't think it has anything to do with the immune system, but who am I to say that? But not that many women smoke or "hazard" with health. So that stat is made on average for all the women. But it is interesting, very interesting.

Back