TechSpot

Snapchat turns down $3 billion acquisition offer from Facebook, report claims

By Shawn Knight
Nov 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Snapchat has reportedly turned down an acquisition offer from social network king Facebook valued at $3 billion or more in cash. The reason for declining the offer is because the Venice, California-based startup is currently being courted by multiple investors...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,192   +246

Turning down $3billion.... this guy either is a time traveller and knows his app is always gonna be on top or he is simply too stupid to get out before he makes the same mistake myspace did...

avoidz likes this.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Facebook will make Snapchat even more creepy than it already is.

4. Jamesbrah

Jamesbrah TS Rookie Posts: 38

How does a platform such as Snapchat actually make revenue? I can't imagine they will just place ads in your feed or make you view something before receiving a snapchat..

freythman likes this.
  5. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Booster Posts: 566   +47

Probably gonna try to get google to offer even more and have a kind of secret auction.

6. khha4113

khha4113 TS Rookie

Founders of MySpace (one of them was Justin Timberlake) didn't make mistake. They sold it to News Corp for almost $600 million. News Corp (personally Rupert Murdoch) was the one made mistake. They later sold it back to MySpace founders for merely $35 million.

freythman likes this.
  7. Shaun2312

Shaun2312 TS Rookie Posts: 23

Get a version for Windows phone created please?

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,423   +822

Snapchat? Never heard of it but I vaguely remember hearing about Facebook once upon a time.

avoidz likes this.
  9. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Take the money and run. Three billion dollars seems like a whole lot of money to me...

10. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,628   +113

Had a look at the Android snapchat app in the play store. 3 billion....really? I too would take the money and run.

H3llion likes this.
  11. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 128   +19

Do you even know how much you can do with 3 billion dollars??? I can't!!

12. EsOhCeeBFD

EsOhCeeBFD TS Rookie Posts: 19

"Snapchat is said to be working a huge round of funding to the tune of around a $4 billion valuation. With that knowledge, Snapchat?s decision to decline Facebook?s offer certainly makes more sense but even still, declining a mega payday after just two years of service would be tough for most ? myself included ? to do. "
    Did nobody read this part? They're trying to get 4 billion in funding. Why would they sell for $1 billion less than the funding they're trying to get? It makes no logical sense to me to sell right now. Like the article said, I think they should hold out until they either get said funding money from investors, or until early next year.

13. Arris

3 billion in your pocket is a lot different to 4 billion "funding". This reminds me of the .com bubble. Anything that looks like it could be the next big thing to suck people in gets money thrown at it.

14. EsOhCeeBFD

Oh, I'm not saying $3 billion isn't a huge amount to just walk away with, but just imagine how much more they could make the product worth with that extra $4 billion in funding rather than just cashing out now.

15. Arris

I'm probably being short-sighted but I can't see the value in it :)

16. EsOhCeeBFD

Neither can I, but from a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense to me. That's all I was trying to say.

Arris likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.