Snowden says Obama's NSA reform proposal is a "turning point"

Justin Kahn

snowden obama nsa edward snowden president obama nsa spying phone data collection turning point congress american civil liberties union

The now infamous former NSA contractor, Edward Snowden, has spoken out recently regarding President Obama's planned NSA reform proposals. Snowden released a statement via the American Civil Liberties Union, the group currently handling his legal representation, saying that Obama's planned reform is a "turning point" in the debate on mass NSA phone data collection.

Snowden said this "marks the beginning of a new effort to reclaim our rights from the NSA and restore the public's seat at the table of government." The Obama administration announced late Monday that it would release its NSA reform proposal this week calling for the end of routine NSA phone data collection of American citizens. This is something Snowden said is part of the government admitting the NSA tactics in question "are in fact unnecessary and should be ended."

Under Obama's proposal, data collection would be left to the phone companies as opposed to the NSA. The agency would then have to request specific data through the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court before obtaining it. Under Obama's plan, records would be stored and tracked for 18 months, drastically reduced from the current 5 year plan the NSA is running.

"I’m confident that it allows us to do what is necessary in order to deal with the dangers of a terrorist attack, but does so in a way that addresses some of the concerns that people have raised," Obama said. The President went on to say that he is looking forward to working with Congress in order to pass the legislation quickly.

As the American Civil Liberties Union prepares Snowden's legal representation, he appeared at TED using a telepresence robot recently from Russia where is currently being granted asylum. Recent discoveries from the large cache of secret NSA documents Snowden leaked have pointed at Huawei being a major target for NSA spying.

Permalink to story.

The public have a seat at the table of government? Haven't seen it in my time so-called democracy or not. Oligarchy, not democracy is a better descriptor of government in 'the West'

The public have a seat at the table of government? Haven't seen it in my time so-called democracy or not. Oligarchy, not democracy is a better descriptor of government in 'the West'
western media has also described the seat of power in the Russian federation as controlled by putin and his oligarchs.

When will this GIMP take the ANCHOVIES off his face?

Such a poor excuse for a goatee, and such a poor excuse for a man.

Please Techspot, stop reprinting articles about this notorious traitor and anarchist against safe democracy.

western media has also described the seat of power in the Russian federation as controlled by putin and his oligarchs.

Not to mention, similar situation exists in west, where 'special interest groups/lobbies' doing the same job on the behest of big corporations/rich. So it kind of evens out in that respect as well :)

People like you make me laugh. Ignorant bullies, that is.

Snowden has done no more than shined a light on the fact that the federal government is no longer "for the people," but "for the its own interests, bottom line, and reputation."

Snowden has done no more than shined a light on the fact that the federal government is no longer "for the people," but "for the its own interests, bottom line, and reputation."

I can't believe you wrote this with a straight face. What country is Edward Snowden currently in? When has this country ever been "for the people" and whose "interests, bottom line, and reputation" does this country care about?

When will this GIMP take the ANCHOVIES off his face?

Such a poor excuse for a goatee, and such a poor excuse for a man.

Please Techspot, stop reprinting articles about this notorious traitor and anarchist against safe democracy.

...must resist the troll

"Please Techspot, stop reprinting articles about this notorious traitor and anarchist against safe democracy."

..must resist the troll, but can't resist the stup*dity.. :D

(fair warning: troll mode on)

Agreed.
Nothing Obama does will EVER change Uncle Sams ability to monitor and record whatever they want, whenever they want. It's a nice gesture though for the sheeple.

I think it will be a huge blow to Snowden's objectives and his followers, if once Obama's reform goes through there is an attack on the US. They will just pin it on what he did probably.

Isn't it time for Snowden to "accidently" fall down some stairs or slip in the shower? I'm really starting to lose faith in the CIA.

Agreed.
Nothing Obama does will EVER change Uncle Sams ability to monitor and record whatever they want, whenever they want. It's a nice gesture though for the sheeple.

If Obama would repeal the Patriot Act, as candidate Obama said he would, then the Government cannot spy on you without a warrant.

Back